Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    The real problem, as I see it, is that the monitoring of the bandwidth used by individual and all fixed and wireless network connections should be done at and by your router, rather than at each individual device, to which you may not have easy access or an adequate monitoring program installed.

As far as I can see, there are no routers which have this capability, which I consider to be a major flaw.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I stop auto video play by preventing Flash running. I use Firefox and have a plug-in called FlashBlock which puts a "play" icon in place of the flash item and if I want to see it I press play. I'm sure there will be a Flash blocker for IE.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I'm still looking for a way to stop the automatic videos that play when we go to read an article (or worse yet, find out there is no article just a video). We never watch the videos and generally just backout when we see there is a video. They appear to just keep downloading even if you pause them after the commercial.
    Disable "shockwave flash Object" from inside IE's "Manage add-ons" section.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BATcher - True, but in my case, there is no router involved, Just my 3G/4G HotSpot.
    Paul T - Clint - I disabled 'Flash' in 'Manage add-ons' and it doesn't stop the videos. What it did screw up was a couple of my wifes research sites that use Flash to display documents (i.e. fold3.com and newspapers.com}. Based on that a 'flash blocker' doesn't sound like a solution. I like the idea of seeing a icon that I can press if I want to watch the video, but the videos in Yahoo and MSN news kept on playing with flash disabled, so I don't know what they run with. Did notice a couple of ads that no longer came up, so some of them are using flash.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe they run with Silverlight?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't see Silverlight in 'Manage Ad-ons', but do see it as an installed program. The dialog box does'nt show anyway to disable.
    Any ideas. Not familiar with Silverlight.

Thanks
    Then that leaves Adobe Flash
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer1 View Post
    Since...

I'm still looking for a way to stop the automatic videos that play when we go to read an article (or worse yet, find out there is no article just a video). We never watch the videos and generally just backout when we see there is a video. They appear to just keep downloading even if you pause them after the commercial.
    What i do is to disable the flashplayer plug ins via the add-ins tool page of the browser. in firefox or palemoon, just go to file menu, click tools>add-ins. then scroll down to flashplayer and disable it or them.

If you want to be doubly insured that flashplayer does not run w/o your permission, you can uninstall the whole darn program via the adobe's uninstaller.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It could be HTML5 video, but I can't find a way to disable it in IE except to switch to compatibility mode on the site concerned.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I disable Flash, then websites like fold3.com won't run because Flash isn't 'installed'.
    However, I found that if you double click on Flash in 'Manage Ad-on', it brings up a dialog box which gives you the option of removing permission from all pages. When a page
    comes up that wants Flash, you get the little yellow IE dialog at the bottom of the screen that says it need's Flash and gives you the option of allowing one time or every time.
    I clicked 'always' for fold3.com and it works (with no more nagging).
    Unfortunately, there isn't an option for never, so you get this box every time on pages you don't giver permission to (i.e. Yahoo home page).

This made several video adds disappear on my Yahoo home page. I went to a couple of news articles that had been showing movies and they were gone (not even a blank spot).
    Then I clicked on a third one, and there was one of those video clips that you can't pause and you can't turn down.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried compatibility mode?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer1 View Post
    Try using Firefox 25.0 with NoScript ver 2.6.8.5 (http://noscript.net/);this combination should effectively halt the automatic videos.
    regards,

Jobsdone

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know if Geezer1 is coming back to this thread, but sounds like Adblock Plus would do the job of blocking those ad videos and changing the home page to www.google.com but it would depend if the MSN and/or Yahoo pages were preferred for the news items.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12