New Lounger
    Thanks

Save as in Word 2010 changes file name

When attempting to save as a file (Word) and going into one the folder where I want to save it, it picks up the name of one of the existing files in the folder in instead of keeping the original name file I gave it.

Is there an adjustment that I need to make in the configuration?
    I currently using Office 2010 in Win 7

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds to me like you have single click on (hover to select). That means when saving, if your cursor rests even for a half second on top of another file it will change the save name to that filename.

Check if that is set by going to Control Panel>Folder options and see if single click is applied or double click. If it's single then you can change it to double and it won't do that or if you leave it single click you have to keep the cursor from resting on any file in the save window. If double click is already in use then it must be some other setting I'm not familiar with.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

BJword (2013-11-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried another mouse and it seems not to do it, could it be a mouse problem?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes maybe, or also if the mouse that was in use had it's own usage configuration software there might be something in those settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I will keep you posted when I figure out, Thanks

Thanks
    What was it, that Sylvester used to say......."I hates those mieces to pieces."

But the whole ides of 'Save As' is to let you Name or RE-Name a file. When I start to type in a name, the software will find any file that starts with the same letters and type it in for me. I think it's been like that for a very long time. I'm so used to it, that I don't even question it.

Happy Holidays Mates!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never had that happen when using the "save as" feature in Word 2012. Are you sure that when you get to the destination folder, you aren't accidentally clicking on one of the files already there (which would change your new file name to that file already sitting in that folder)? In my experience, when I use the "save as" feature, I give that file my preferred name before I get to the destination folder, and I never click on any other file in the destination folder when I do the "save as" operation for the destination folder.
    BobR in New Mexico, USA

"Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." This is our function, our challenge, our fulfillment - and our inheritance, to accept and to share, that the world may be healed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    That sounds to me like you have single click on (hover to select). That means when saving, if your cursor rests even for a half second on top of another file it will change the save name to that filename.

Check if that is set by going to Control Panel>Folder options and see if single click is applied or double click. If it's single then you can change it to double and it won't do that or if you leave it single click you have to keep the cursor from resting on any file in the save window. If double click is already in use then it must be some other setting I'm not familiar with.
    I checked. I have the double-click option selected. That's why I don't have the new file name (to be saved) changed automatically in the destination folder if my cursor accidently hovers over one of the files already sitting in that destination folder.
    Last edited by bbriley42; 2013-11-28 at 21:36. Reason: Wording error
    BobR in New Mexico, USA

"Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." This is our function, our challenge, our fulfillment - and our inheritance, to accept and to share, that the world may be healed.