Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

8.1 has broken Macrium Reflect Pro and Revo Uninstaller Pro!

Hey Y'all,

I've just completed the Uninstall & Reinstall of both Macrium Reflect Pro and Revo Uninstaller Pro. Neither program will recognize my WD MyBookLive NAS as a UNC \\MyBookLive\..... or as a Mapped Drive. Windows Explorer has no problem with the exception of the Not all network drives were reconnected message at boot. Click on the drive and it works. When the credentials box pops up I enter my old UID and PW but it will not accept them as valid even though Windows did when it asked.

I also tried to create a new Account in the WD software for the Microsoft account. Of course MS uses Email addresses as the account name and the WD software will not allow special characters so that was a no go. Anyone have any ideas?

BTW: I've been in Credential manager and both edited and deleted/recreated the one for the MyBookLive w/o success.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    My Revo Uninstaller Pro (V 2.X.X, did not upgrade to v 3.X.X) works very well. Just tried it.

I have not tried Acronis from within Windows since I always boot to the Rescue disk to create my Images.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Medico,

Have you tried to install a program from a NAS? This is what is giving me problems. I can Uninstall things w/o problem and even install programs that are on the local drive. But in Win 7 & Win 8.0 I could also do a monitored install from my WD MYBookLive w/o any problem...no go in 8.1. Same problem w/Macrium. I've since found out that I can't get to any computer on my network either! I can link to the Win 8.1 machine from the others but not the other way around. Works great in 7 & 8.0. I think this has to do with the MS account junk. But I think I'm going to once again revert to 8.0 as this 8.1 is just too much pain for too little gain. I'll give MS a couple of months to try to get this right.

Sure glad I took that Macrium Image BEFORE I did the upgrade!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Nothing changed to me, regarding network access, but then I didn't change my user account.

Not sure how you access shared stuff, but without a Windows server, access is based on username / password, which must be valid on the sharing computer. I found that Windows 8 (and it seems 8.1) manages to allow me to specify a username / password and saves them between successive sessions, something that didn't happen with Windows 7.

So, the lack of network access from the Windows 8.1 computer should be due to your "new" username, but it should be easily fixed. Not sure whether you will have to tweak your firewall to allow access to the Windows 8.1 computer, either.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Rui,

I'd come to the same conclusion but usually when you try to connect to a network resource on which you don't have an account you get a popup asking for a UID & PW. Win 8.1 did it some times and not others and even when it did it wouldn't accept my old (Win 8.0 or Win 7 information, they were the same). When I tried to establish a new account on the WD MyBookLive NAS using my Windows Account information it would not accept the @ in the email address or for that matter the . either as it states that it must be alpha/numeric and I'd just downloaded/installed a firmware update for the device. Well I'm back to 8.0 and everything is working as it should!

BTW: When 8.0 rebooted I noticed another problem w/8.1. While using 8.1 my #1 monitor developed a 1/2 to 3/4 inch black boarder but not on the #2 monitor. Now back in 8.0 both monitors are wall to wall.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    RG,

I suppose you were not offered the chance to use a different username / password probably because 8.1 kept your 8.0 settings - I haven't been asked to insert my access details to access my Windows 7 desktop from my Windows 8.1 laptop and I use a Microsoft account on the laptop that does not exist on the desktop. I suppose that to fix it, you'd need to remove your existing login settings, probably from the Credential Manager in the Control Panel.

As to your NAS, I fear that must be a limitation of the NAS software. Maybe you could still connect to it using an existing identity...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    RG,
    As to your NAS, I fear that must be a limitation of the NAS software. Maybe you could still connect to it using an existing identity...
    Rui,

Tried that...didn't work! Even tho those credentials worked from another (Win 7 machine).

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Rui,

Tried that...didn't work! Even tho those credentials worked from another (Win 7 machine).
    I am sorry about that. Being a "pioneer" does entail this kind of risks. I only went through with 8.1 at this moment because it seemed it would be rather uneventful.

Anyway, it doesn't seem such a big upgrade, to be honest. I had no issues with 8.0 as it was, so the most celebrated 8.1 features don't really do much to bolster my satisfaction with Windows 8. I was already a serene and quietly satisfied user .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the further we have strayed from the conformity Microsoft is trying to herd us all toward, the more issues we have. Yearly upgrades on a pack of free range chickens is bound for semi-disaster as is but if they can get a good percentage used to using the Store and apps therein exclusively with a Microsoft account, the kind of dependability they need to make subscriptions work...well, just might work. Hence the push to get away from the desktop and relabeling what we call Windows. Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley have it on pretty good authority that the plan for Spring 2015 release is an even more extreme departure from "old" Windows than 8 or 8.1.
    I just don't know how Microsoft is going to force that down enterprise's gullet.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too had problems with Macrium. A box said I was not licensed, and gave the option of buying a license but there was a place to put in a key. I put my key in and Macrium was again working.

I had not used Revo uninstaller recently so checked that I could open that. It opened normally.

I have W8.1 pro.

What happens on upgrade seems to vary!

Administrator
    Thanks
    @RG,

I suppose another option would be to change the MS account to a local account. You could try and enter your Microsoft account in the store options, to see if that would make the store work.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    RG, I have never used that feature of Revo Uninstaller. I have never monitored installs and yet Revo seems to uninstall all apps quite well without being monitored so I never saw the need to do so. I do not ley much run in the background on my PC.

In fact I just did link to my wife's PC through our network and transferred a file update to her PC (A Quicken data update) This also seems to be working well.

Both PCs are set up with our MS (Hotmail) accounts.

Me thinks the goonies have invaded your PC!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Me thinks the goonies have invaded your PC!
    Medico,

No goonies...just a loose nut behind the keyboard!

BTW: I really like the monitored install option of Revo as when necessary the uninstalls are much quicker. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs