New Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple connections of remote desktop

Hello,

Does anyone know if you can have more than one remote desktop connection running on one computer connecting to two different servers? Searching Google I can only find the opposite about two incoming connections on the server. Also is there a way to save multiple profiles in remote desktop with shortcuts?

Thanks,

Gibs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, you can definitely connect via RDP to several or many remote PCs or servers at the same time. At work, I'm frequently connected to five or ten for most of an eight hour shift.

Shortcuts can be handled in several ways. You can create a folder full of .rdp shortcuts by using Show Options at bottom left of the initial Remote Desktop Connection box, then "Save the current connection settings to an RDP file".

But on Windows 7, if you pin the RDC program to the task bar, it's then easy to use the right-click jump list for previous sessions and to pin permanently those you use often.

For a few months, I've been using an extra free program from Microsoft; Remote Desktop Connection Manager. This has some very convenient features which only take a few minutes to become obvious; save all your remote computers in a tree and double-click to connect; live thumbnails of each display are shown until you double-click a title bar to switch to operations on that server: Introducing Remote Desktop Connection Manager (RDCMan) 2.2

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I do something similar, individually saved RDP connections in one folder of shortcuts that I put in a taskbar toolbar. Really only need one placeholder like Bruce says though because then the jumplist comes into play.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info Bruce. I will download the microsoft app and try that out. Also do you know about running multiple instances of forticlient for the connection?

Thanks again,

Gibs

Thanks
    I agree with Bruce; to update PCs (not Windows update!) I quite often 'remote' connect to up to 15 local computers at a time without any problem other than keeping track of what I've done to which.

Occasionally I remote connect to a local PC which connects to a really-remote PC, which is then used to connect back to my local site via a hardware VPN but using MSTSC to another PC! Complicated, but useful.

Thanks for the pointer to Remote Desktop Connection Manager - new to me.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...