New Lounger
    Thanks

Refresh Image Question

I used the Refresh Image Information provided at this site. However, I am reading various ideas on whether this is a workable plan. Will someone please help me sort this out?

See this post about Refresh Image - they seem to think the instructions posted on this site will not work?

http://mcakins.com/2013/10/18/warnin...esh-and-reset/

Thanks
    That is indeed correct. Your best solution would be to create your own Image using either the built in app (not my first choice) or one of the excellent 3rd party Imaging apps. Once you do upgrade to Win 8.1, the Refresh and Reset will be for Win 8.1, not Win 8. If you make the aforementioned Image, you can get back to your original Win 8 in about 10 minutes. I create new Images whenever I make major changes to my OS, or once per month, whichever is sooner. In this way my Image is always very up to date. Plus the Image does include all your customizations, added apps (Refresh does not include added Desktop apps, Reset does not include ANY of your installed app, either Desktop or Win 8 Style apps), data, everything just as it appears.

I would go further and make an Image of the new Win 8.1 after you have it set up to your liking. The nice thing about Imaging is you can store as many Images together as will fit on the storage media. An Ext. HD seems to work best for many of us. I just ensure my Image names (I create custom names for all my Images that include the OS and date) are not the same. In this way you can save as many as will fit (I generally have about 6 Images for 2 different PCs on my Ext. HD) on the Ext. HD. Cool!
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-10-20 at 10:41.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply and explanation, Medico. I regularly use Macrium Reflect to backup my system on an external hard drive. However, based on the Windows Secrets article, I thought the Refresh Image would be nice to have also. Obviously I didn't fully understand the consequences of doing what was posted in the WS article. I just hope others don't interpret it the same as I. Thanks again for the explanation!
    Last edited by oklajohn; 2013-10-20 at 11:13.

Thanks
    For others reading this thread, there are many explanations of Refresh and Reset. Read then carefully before doing so. Otherwise you might be disappointed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy