New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 won't install

Tried to update to win 8.1 and get this error 0x80070004. Looked in the error log file and saw that it was trying to access my profile which is corrupted. Because the profile is corrupted I had to create a new one. Is there anyway to let the update know about the new profile? If not is there anyway to update my computer without a fresh install?

TIA

_______
    Sarge

Thanks
    Have you tried to open an Elevated Command Prompt (Win + X you will see it) and typing "sfc /scannow" without the quotes? This might fix the corrupted files that will then allow the upgrade.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Sarge1948 (2013-10-24)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Serge, hello.
    I do not want to be the carrier of bad news but listen to my story as I could not install .1 either. My W-8 had a bug that SFC /SCANNOW could not fix. I had to do a refresh to have a pristine machine and this took the best part of three hours, not a walk in the park ! Then, I had to install 63 MSU recommended and two optional updates. The good news is that after this, the .1 installed fine. I wish you the same. Jean.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

Sarge1948 (2013-10-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Have you tried to open an Elevated Command Prompt (Win + X you will see it) and typing "sfc /scannow" without the quotes? This might fix the corrupted files that will then allow the upgrade.
    Not sure what an Elevated Command Prompt is. I opened a command promp with admin priviledges and ran sfc /scannow and it said it could not fix all the files. Win 8.1 will still not update. I have to get more dvds and do some more backing up then do a clean install.

_______
    Sarge