New Lounger
    Thanks

Vcf Creation (2000/SR1 -Corporate)

I've a user who is getting a strange problem when he tries to create a vcf in Outlook. He has created a personal contact record & as far as I can see has gone through the process of creating the card correctly and it does appear in new mail messages. However the details on the card are being taken from his entry in the corporate global address list & not from the contact record that he has specified. He doesn't have permission to change the global details and although i've been able to make the change for him I just can't see why it should be pulling the details from here. Things we've tried to rectify this problem have included :

Creating a new contact record & creating a new vcf
    Deleting the orginal vcf & creating a new one
    Changing the customers name to not match his entry in the Global Address list

Nothing has worked so far, any help would be much appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Vcf Creation (2000/SR1 -Corporate)

A couple of questions: When you set up the vcard are you using the vcard button with the signature tool under Tools | Options | Mail Format tab? If so, are you changing the source of the list from the GAL to the person's contact folder? Is this a PAB or an Outlook Address Book? (Ooops, that's three questings!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

When we setup the card we are using the process as you state and yes we are changing the source to the Contacts folder and then selecting his own contact record. Were selecting this direct from Contacts he doesn't have a pab.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I found that it does the same thing for me. I found a bunch of articles in the MSKB (c.f. Q246536 and Q247390) that say if you use an email address found in the GAL the vcard will use information from the GAL. A confirmed bug in OL2k. Below is an excerpted workaround that worked for me. G'luck!

To work around this issue, you can create a one-off address for the e-mail address from your contact. To create a one-off address:

Open the contact.

Click the Address Book icon in the contact for e-mail.

In the Select Name window, click New.

In the New Entry window, click In this entry only at the bottom of the window.

Click Internet Address, and click OK.

Type in the SMTP address you require in the Display Name and E-mail Address fields, and then click OK.

This creates the entry as a one-off address in the contact.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Very many thanks for the advice. I was convinced I was going mad with this. It would have had to happen with one of the few employees here with the additional details completed in the GAL. The fix you suggested does indeed work like a charm. I shall have to brush up on my KB searching tactics. Once again many thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks

I saw this same thing recently, we resolved it by deleting the original vcf, then going to the contact card itself and choosing File/Export to vCard file. Then back in the signature picker, we just selected it from the dropdown list.