Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to Leave Homegroup W7

I have 5 computers at home on a network. I have a problem wit a desktop with W7 Ultimate. Recently got a new W8 computer and started a Homegroup that join with the laptop. The W7 machine does not detect the Homegroup and when I try to change the sharing, the password or leave the Homegroup I was unable to do so. This computer states that belongs to a Homegroup.
    I try to turn on and/or change services that are associated with Homegroup, run the scn/scannow, removed a Antivirus program and still unable to change anything on this computer.
    I still have installed Malawarebyte and tddskiller on this computer. I notice that I am unable to turn Windows defender as well (not sure if related).
    I review many post both here and other sites but the suggestions given did not help.
    Any ideas sort of reinstalling Windows.
    Thank You
    Bob

Thanks
    I would take the new PC with Win 8 back to the reseller. If this problem was there from day 1, it should be a warranty issue.

I no longer use Home Group. I have set up Workgroup on my PCs. They work well together. Fred Langa had an article on this a while ago.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks but I like Win 8 and my new computer. Besides the rest of the Homegroup and Network (includes an XP, and two Win 7) works just fine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you just establish the Homegroup when you got the Win8 PC?

If I'm understanding correctly you problem is with the Win7 Ultimate desktop. See if any of the first half dozen results at windows 7 unable to leave homegroup help.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No I had the Home group already with the Win 7 computers

New Lounger
    Thanks

Still Unable to leave Homegroup

I try several of the suggestions in the link, including deleting and renaming the idstore.sst and disabling Peer Networking group.
    By the way when deleting the idstore file I notice that I have two files one name just idstore and the other name idstore.sst.new. I,m not sure if this is significant.
    I try to leave the homegroup both before and after rebooting.
    Also note that my Home Group Provider Service is "stop" and I can not start it. "The operation could not be completed. The dependency service failed to start"

Anyone has any ideas.
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you check the dependency service? Use the services applet, right click on the Home Group Provider Service, select Properties, click on the Dependency tab.

Also, was the homegroup working correctly for the troublesome PC before you added the Win8 PC?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I di check the dependency and did not see anything wrong. The services associated with Homegroup provider there were all working.
    I notice it when I was trying to get the Win 8 on the Homegroup but I think was prior to that.
    I did a System restore to a date prior to me getting the Win 8 computer and still have the same problem. I just never check it before.
    The error that gives me is # 1068. I try a couple of suggestions from the net including the System restore but did not help.
    I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I CAN'T GET MY COMPUTER OUT OF THE HOMEGROUP!!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you using an account that is a member of the admin group?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I am. All my computers except one have only one account which is an Administrator account. The changes that I tried were under Administrator (sometimes prompted by Windows).
    The names are slightly different on each computer.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Bob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you disconnect the troublesome PC from your router and then try the changes?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did that too and no luck.
    I try to change the Homegroup from home network to Work network but same problem.
    I can change the Home group Provider Serv. from Manual to Automatic or to Disable without any effect. But when trying to actually "start" the service gives me the error 1068.
    Bob

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Services Listing

In Services.msc, I have 2 entries: HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider.

HomeGroup Provider lists 3 dependencies: Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, and Network List Service.

If anything is missing from yours, I suggest running SFC. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I have the same three dependencies under HomeGroup Provider..
    Under HomeGroup Listener I have one dependency, Server with a bunch of subdependecies under it.
    Thanks.
    Bob

Thanks
    And I assume all the dependent services are running?

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast