Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt Windows files

I am having trouble with my Windows 7 computer in that several operating system files seem to have become corrupted. Most of the facilities which should be available in Control Panel do not work – click on them and nothing happens; type something in the text box above the start button and nothing happens; sometimes it needs ctrl/alt/del to shut down Word.

I have a Windows 7 disk but the only option is to install – no repair – perhaps because it is an OEM version.

I can restore an image about six months old, a time when hopefully all was well, but it would entail a lot of work getting everything back to the present set-up. I have used Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, Spybot etc. to no avail – is there anything I can try that would avoid reverting to an old image, bearing in mind that the text box does not work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Have you tried opening a command prompt windows (as an Administrator) and running sfc /scannow?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-10-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt files

I have tried typing the command into a text box and got the message that I need to be the administrator - I try to change and have the message that I am the administrator and that if there is only one user they have to be the administrator - there is only one user.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Click the windows Start button and type cmd in the search box immediately above the button. As results apear, click simultaneously on CTRL + SHIFT + Enter. Answer yes when you are asked to and you will have your command prompt as administrator. You will then be able to run sfc /scannow.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-10-22)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I managed to run sfc with your instructions and it found a number of corrupt files, only some of which were able to be corrected – a lot of the links to facilities in Control Panel still will not work.

I have an OEM copy of Windows 7 which came with the computer, but there is only one option – Install – there is no repair option; would a full retail version have a repair facility and if so would it be legal to borrow a CD and do a repair?

I notice that there is a hidden partition of 100MB on the hard drive, of which 25.6 MB is used, presumably installed by the Windows 7 CD – would this contain system files for carrying out repairs and if so how is it accessed – I only know it is there because it is displayed in Macrium Reflect.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you run the Windows 7 setup from withing Windows 7, with your OEM disk?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-10-22)

Thanks
    Reboot and run SFC /scannow again - then rinse and repeat one more time. There's a good chance that more problems will be repaired.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2013-10-22),mike21 (2013-10-22)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First of all, the computer was supplied without an operating system but with a Windows 7 OEM disk, which was then run and installed 64 bit.

I have run sfc/scannow a second time and the same message - found corrupt files but some could not be repaired, implying that some more were repaired that could not be the first time round, but no change to Control Panel links operation - but what is meant by "rinse and repeat" - I just repeated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I was actually asking if you tried the repair install from within Windows, but check the instructions to perform a repair install: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html.

satrow was suggesting that you repeat the sfc check multiple times, not just once or twice. If errors persist, see if you can perform the procedure above with your OEM disk.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-10-23)

Thanks
    This would be just as good a time as any to suggest that you have you most important data copied
    to en external drive or some other media.

What kind of an OEM disk do you have: bootable image based or install disk, and from whom?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-10-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your help and advice - I will run sfc/scannow several more times and hope that it cures the problem eventually. The disc I have is described as OEM System Builders Pack. I have read the link about doing a repair install from within Windows and feel that it is too complex (85), so will wait until my grandson can do it for me - he has a degree in computing plus a masters but does not live locally. I regularly use Macrium Reflect to make an image and every few days make a non-compressed backup of the desktop, documents and email folders. If it all goes wrong I can easily use one of the Macrium images.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Seems you will be safe, Mike. Do let us know how it goes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-10-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Mike,

If you pop over to the Sysnative forums: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/forum.php the guys there will give you step-by-step instructions on how to get the SFC log file (cbs.log) to them. They'll check the log, identify which problems couldn't be fixed and usually supply you with one or more small scripts to run which will correct the issues.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBuckingham For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-10-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I take it that "rinse and repeat" was a subtle humour; it's like the instruction on a bottle of shampoo: lather, rinse, repeat.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAugustas View Post
    I take it that "rinse and repeat" was a subtle humour; it's like the instruction on a bottle of shampoo: lather, rinse, repeat.
    Nah, it means that after running the scan and it's not fixed you get frustrated and hot under the collar so the advice is to stick your head under cold running water to cool down ..... then try again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast