New Lounger
    Thanks

This message has been truncated, show full message

I have numerous files that open, generally in Yahoo email, but also elsewhere, that at some point display the "This message has been truncated, show full message" to click on the latter to open the rest of the file. (Windows Secrets is one of them.) It used to be that when I did, the message would continue from that point. As of last week, when I click on "show full message" it takes me back to the beginning of the message and I have to scroll down to the point where I left off to continue reading. I downloaded some Windows Updates a few days prior to this erratic behavior, but can't be sure that caused it. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help will be appreciated.

Bob Stevens

UPDATE: Thanks for all the help, but I now know it's a Yahoo problem. I thought my wife had installed Windows Updates last week, but I just learned that she didn't. Since her PC is also doing the erratic truncated behavior, it has to be a Yahoo fault. Too, Yahoo just rolled out their newest version which probably caused my problem. Why can't they leave well enough alone? It it ain't broke, don't fix it. Again, thanks for the suggestions and I'm sorry I took up your time.
    Last edited by bobhist; 2013-10-21 at 15:09.
    Everything has its limit--iron ore cannot be educated into gold. (Mark Twain.) (Subject to change by Mr. Twain.)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try restoring to a point previous to the updates to see if that cured the problem?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which browser?

Truncated emails are a Yahoo feature: Why truncated Yahoo emails?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Big Mac, but that didn't help.
    Last edited by bobhist; 2013-10-21 at 13:13.
    Everything has its limit--iron ore cannot be educated into gold. (Mark Twain.) (Subject to change by Mr. Twain.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Firefox 24.0. Yes, I'm aware of the Yahoo bugaboo about truncated emails, but that's not my concern. My concern is why it's returning to the start instead of where I left off, as before.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhist View Post
    Firefox 24.0. Yes, I'm aware of the Yahoo bugaboo about truncated emails, but that's not my concern. My concern is why it's returning to the start instead of where I left off, as before.
    Either Yahoo changed the links in the email or your browser no longer interprets the anchors correctly. To exclude the latter, have you tried reading the messages with a different browser?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Ruirib: Thanks for the suggestion. It does the same thing with IE 9. I can't decide if it's a Yahoo or Windows fallacy. I first noted the change on my desktop PC (Win 7, 64 bit) after installing some 20 plus Windows Updates last week. I updated my laptop at the same time (Win 7, 32 bit), and it now has the same erratic behavior with Firefox 24.0 and IE 9. My wife uses a Win 7, 32 bit, laptop with Chrome and it's doing the same on hers. However, she installed the Windows Updates last week also.

Administrator
    Thanks
    To be honest, I would not think it is a Windows fallacy. What you click is a hyperlink, which follows a specific syntax. To move you to a specific part of a page, a link must include what is a called an anchor. If the anchor is missing, you will be led to the top of the message.

So, I would first suspect that they changed their links / or the HTML code for the messages. I will see if I can confirm this.

P.S. All my attempts to create Yahoo messages that behaved that way have failed. I can't create messages that get truncated, sorry.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. You can close this thread.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi everyone. It's not only Yahoo problem. Suprise, suprise it looks like windows 8.1 problem. Don't know how to solve it but my IE 11 and Chrome do exactly the same. Never show whole Windows Secrets newsletter and when I click on the link it's back to the beginning. weird or what?
    And just one more thing - since I downloaded Windows 8.1 opening gmail takes forever, I have another email run by google local UK virgin media - and this doesn't open at all.
    Using more and more Chrome and it runs and does everything I ask it to do; and thinking about uninstalling IE alltogether. Why keep useless piece of software?
    btw, using 8.1 preview - everything worked without any problem, figure that if you can.
    Last edited by polinut; 2013-10-24 at 16:13.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by polinut View Post
    Hi everyone. It's not only Yahoo problem. Suprise, suprise it looks like windows 8.1 problem. Don't know how to solve it but my IE 11 and Chrome do exactly the same. Never show whole Windows Secrets newsletter and when I click on the link it's back to the beginning. weird or what?
    And just one more thing - since I downloaded Windows 8.1 opening gmail takes forever, I have another email run by google local UK virgin media - and this doesn't open at all.
    Using more and more Chrome and it runs and does everything I ask it to do; and thinking about uninstalling IE alltogether. Why keep useless piece of software?
    btw, using 8.1 preview - everything worked without any problem, figure that if you can.
    Where does this happen? Outlook.com, Yahoo mail, somewhere else?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't feel lonely. I've been a Yahoo Plus subscriber since 1998 and my biggest complaint about them is that they keep "fixing" things that aren't broken and making things less convenient rather than more so each time. I've yet to like any "improvement" they've made to Mail, including this latest one. And they make it extremely difficult to get in touch with them, you can eventually reach a live person on the phone but you really have to dig to find that number...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Eudora 8 (a variation of Thunderbird) as one of my email programs. It allows me to set the size of the email it will download to my computer, and if the email is larger, then I get the truncated message. This is true whether I am using Windows 7 or 8, so I think your problem lies with Yahoo, and not your operating program. Have you considered raising the limit on the size of the email you allow to be downloaded?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhist View Post
    Why can't they leave well enough alone? It it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    You just don't understand the Yahoo philosophy: It it ain't broke, break it!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had recent problems with Internet Explorer, both on Windows 7 Ult after upgrading IE and on Win8 after upgrading to 8.1.

In both cases I found resetting IE, using Internet Options - Advanced Tab, restored it to health. I suspect changes in Add-ons and their settings was part of the problem.