New Lounger
    Thanks

What Happens When a RAID 0 Image is Restored to a Single Hard Disk Drive?

I have a sector by sector backup image of a RAID 0 array. After using the image to do a restore to a single hard disk drive, will the RAID 0 array attempt to recreate itself upon booting even though there is now only a single hard disk drive?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Depends!
    I assume you were using software RAID (very bad IMHO).
    When you run the OS with only one drive it will recognise the lack of a second drive. It will not cream a second drive and attempt to re-create the RAID array without asking.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response, Paul. I realize that an operating system will recognize a single hard disk drive if there is only one hard disk drive in the computer system. However, my Windows 7 operating system doesn't create the RAID 0 array in my two hard disk drive system. By its very nature, the RAID 0 array in a two hard disk drive system is created before the operating system loads so that the operating system thinks that there is only one hard disk drive in the computer system. I guess my question should have been, "Will I need to disable/uninstall RAID after restoring an image from a computer with a RAID 0 array to a single hard disk drive in a different computer system (regardless of the number of physical hard disk drives in the computer system that contains the restored image), and if so, how do I do that?" (I'm thinking, correctly or incorrectly, that the image contained the code that sets up the RAID 0 array and that that code will attempt to set up the RAID 0 array in the computer system to which the image was restored even though I don't want a RAID 0 array in the second computer system).

Basically, I'm asking how to uninstall RAID if it is found necessary to do so (and I'm saying that I don't even know if the above scenario means that uninstalling RAID would be necessary).

My current RAID 0 computer has RAID capability built into the motherboard's Southbridge. By default, the capability is disabled. The capability is enabled via the BIOS; however, the BIOS does nothing more than enable the capability. Nvidia MediaShield software must be installed (from a 3.5-inch diskette) to provide the RAID drivers and to provide the ability to specify the RAID array type (in my case, RAID 0). Since I don't know the location of the software that is installed from the Nvidia MediaShield diskette, I'm uncertain whether the installed software is contained within the backup image that I created of the RAID 0 array. I'm concerned that the RAID software installed on my current computer system will be transferred, via the backup image of the current system, to the hard disk drive of the computer system that receives the restored image. Since I don't want any RAID on the system that receives the restored image, I don't want any residual RAID software running unnecessarily. However, without knowing the location of installed RAID software, I am concerned that uninstalling it (assuming it continues to run on the second computer) may prove to be difficult. I'm hoping that the Nvidia MediaShield RAID software is actually a firmware driver (which it seems to be), and that without the same firmware on the second computer, the Nvidia RAID software will be unable to run. Even if the second computer were to have the same motherboard (with RAID capability built into the Southbridge), it should be an easy-enough matter to disable RAID via the BIOS, but I'm thinking that doing so wouldn't be necessary unless Nvidia MediaShield drivers had already been installed (been installed prior to the second computer receiving the hard drive with the restored image).
    Last edited by Apogee; 2013-10-23 at 08:38.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If the RAID is hardware you don't need to do anything to restore to a single disk system - as you said, Windows thinks it's already one disk. You can remove the RAID software post restore - it only talks to the RAID controller to see what state the disks are in, but that won't happen any more.
    The biggest hurdle with restoring Windows is the new hardware and associated drivers. This should be fixable using a backup product that has a "bare metal" restore option. Obviously you should test this before relying on it.

cheers, Paul