New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Image size: Delete pagefil.sys before imaging?

I am about to image my C:\ drive using Macrium Reflect Free. OS is Windows Vista. I'd like to have an image that is as small as possible, if that is necessary. I have already deleted my hiberfil.sys file by turning off hibernation.

Q.1 Should I attempt to make my image as small as possible by deleting the page file AND all but the most recent restore point? .... or does it matter.

Q.2 My pagefil.sys is 4GB. Should I delete it, reduce its size, or leave it alone before imaging?

Q.3 If you advise me to delete pagefil.sys, will my image have a place holder for the file, or will I have to recreate the page file if I have to restore my system from the image.

Thanks for the advice

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I don't use Macrium Reflect Free, but the imaging software I use has the option of leaving the pagefile and hiberfil.sys out of the image. I would think those options might also be available in Macrium Reflect Free.

Perhaps a Macrium user can chime in here and give you a more definitive answer.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

lien (2013-10-22)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Macrium is smart enough not to copy those files.
    Dick

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick-Y For This Useful Post:

lien (2013-10-22)

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

I currently use Macrium but don't even worry about the Page File as I have it on a separate partition that I don't bother imaging. Solves the problem for me.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

lien (2013-10-22)

Thanks
    See the option from the image below, it is self explanatory.
    Untitled3.jpg

Intelligent sector copy avoids the PF and hibernation files.
    This should be consistent in ALL versions of MR from at least v5 up, free or pro.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

lien (2013-10-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who answered. Before posting this question I read the Macrium FAQ and did a Google search, but did not find the answer. Thanks especially to CLiNT and Dick-Y.

Thanks
    Your welcome.
    Using the Intelligent sector copy allows one to restore images to differing sized drives too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are welcome lien.

Dick

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do a combination of these measures. Create a separate partition on your C drive (call it drive P for pagefile) and put ONLY your pagefile on it. You may need to experiment a bit, to see how big the partition needs to be to accommodate your intended pagefile size. Optionally, also have a small pagefile (say 10meg) on your C drive if you want to have crash dumps saved - this will not be included in the backup anyway if you configure Macrium as suggested. There would be no need to back up drive P.

Another advantage of doing this is that if you use a drive activity indicator such as DriveGLEAM, you can see at a glance if there is activity on drive P, i.e. paging is happening.
    Last edited by Bundaburra; 2013-10-31 at 15:58.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundaburra View Post
    Do a combination of these measures. Create a separate partition on your C drive (call it drive P for pagefile) and put ONLY your pagefile on it. You may need to experiment a bit, to see how big the partition needs to be to accommodate your intended pagefile size. Optionally, also have a small pagefile (say 10meg) on your C drive if you want to have crash dumps saved - this will not be included in the backup anyway if you configure Macrium as suggested. There would be no need to back up drive P.

Another advantage of doing this is that if you use a drive activity indicator such as DriveGLEAM, you can see at a glance if there is activity on drive P, i.e. paging is happening.
    There is no good reason to take this approach. If Macrium is configured to skip the pagefile creating another partition is a waste of time. Having the pagefile on a different partition is only valuable if the partition is on a different physical disk which is at least as fast as the boot drive. Even then, unless there is a specific performance reason to do this it is a waste of time. Also, there are many articles available on how to properly size the pagefile if that is required - taking a guess and experimenting is the worst way.

Joe

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-11-01)