Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to get rid of all the adverts??

How do you stop Windows 8.1 from spraying adverts all over your desktop?

Thanks
    I haven't experience that. Do you mean Desktop or Start Screen?

Unless you turn off live tiles, your Start Screen live tiles will update frequently. Is that what you're talking about?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    If you are getting advertising pop ups, download and run Malwarebytes. www.malwarebytes.org

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I was using the wrong term. By desktop I meant the display screen when you get down to any sort opf detail all the, what I would call links, display adverts. I am accustomed to running my main machines under Windows 7 with a HOSTS file which stops all C&*^ from appearing but I haven't found out how to do that in Win 8 or 8.1.
    I will have to find out about live tiles I don't know what you mean.
    Last edited by MacNala; 2013-10-21 at 14:23. Reason: typo

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you download in Win 8.1?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacNala View Post
    I will have to find out about live tiles I don't know what you mean.
    Is this the screen you're talking about?
    StartScreen.PNG
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I mean the screens that popup or slidein when you search for some setting or other.
    They are full of underlined 'links'? which seem to cause adverts to popup when the mouse passes over or near them. If these were genuine links they would respond when clicked but these seem to be something else. The adverts do not seem to be related to the subject of the screen information.
    Is there no way to bar then?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    No, I mean the screens that popup or slidein when you search for some setting or other.
    They are full of underlined 'links'? which seem to cause adverts to popup when the mouse passes over or near them. If these were genuine links they would respond when clicked but these seem to be something else. The adverts do not seem to be related to the subject of the screen information.
    Is there no way to bar then?
    Can you provide a screenshot? I have never seen that on Windows 8 and I am thinking that either I am not understanding what you are saying or something is wrong with your system.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    They are full of underlined 'links'? which seem to cause adverts to popup when the mouse passes over or near them.
    What you are describing sounds like hyperlinks on a web page. I haven't seen such behavior in Windows 8 itself. Are you online when you see these? I'm with Rui, a screenshot would really help understand what you're talking about.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I wonder if the OP might be referring to Tool Tips that pop up. I also do not see any of the ad pop-ups he describes. I have added several tracking protection lists which also tend to block the pop-ups. Also, check to ensure the Pop Up Blocker is enabled. Without a screen shot we are just guessing.

Tracking Protection.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry guys I have been unable create a screenshot. Every time I try using Alt+PrintScreen the ads disappear. I should point out that I am a complete novice at Windows 8 and 8.1. Just getting something to display that allows me to view the control panel is a pain.
    I will persevere and may come back to this later but for me Windows 8 and 8.1 are non starters.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Sorry guys I have been unable create a screenshot. Every time I try using Alt+PrintScreen the ads disappear. I should point out that I am a complete novice at Windows 8 and 8.1. Just getting something to display that allows me to view the control panel is a pain.
    I will persevere and may come back to this later but for me Windows 8 and 8.1 are non starters.
    If you are on the desktop right click the start button and click on control panel. If you are on the start screen, use Win+C to display the charms menu, click on "Settings", then on the "Settings" menu at the bottom click on "Change PC settings" to display the modern version of most control panel options.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    If you just gave an example of the steps you take starting with which screen is displayed when you begin that would help.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you just gave an example of the steps you take starting with which screen is displayed when you begin that would help.

Joe
    As an example search > repair windows 8 results ina screen full of adverts and apparently nothin about creating a repair disc from Microsoft.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Have you run a malware detecting app? Is this the RTM version of Windows 8.1?

Search -> "repair windows 8" results in no hits for me. Are you doing that in a browser, or is it the Windows search?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast