Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple OS on same PC

Hi Howard.

Thanks for that. I did suggest way back in the early posts of this thread that this was the case. I didn't like to be too dogmatic, as I'd never actually tried it.

Rgds

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think one can do the multi booting of ANY OS by using a third part boot manager that HIDES ALL other bootable drives from each other. Boot Magic should be able to do this, since you can boot to DOS, Windows 95, 98 NT, 2K, Xp, Linex (sp) and any other OS that can run on a PC and the partitions and or hard drives have been set up to be bootable.

Following is from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/pm7details.html>http://www.powerquest.com/partitionm...m7details.html</A>

POWERFUL BOOT MANAGEMENT

Graphical interface with mouse and keyboard support - Manage multiple operating systems in a comfortable, easy-to-use environment.
    PartitionMagic includes BootMagic

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps, but then you are relying on Microsoft software to co-operate. It's safer to use the built-in multiple boot capability of the OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

With the MS bootloader you can NOT use multi copies of a MS OS or can not boot to a NON MS OS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Not quite true.

You can have multiple copies of Win 2000.

ileacy

Either BootMagic or System Commander will work just fine for this.

I use BootMagic to triple boot W98, WXP, and Linux. It came with Partition Magic so no big selection issue. It works.

There is one other issue. All primary partitions should start below the 8GB boundary. I use 2GB partitions for W9x, 512MB for Linux (actually 64MB is enough to hold about 5 distributions worth of boot files), and 4GB for W2K/WXP. Additional files (software/data) are stored in additional shared and non-shared partitions.

It is also possible to, as Howard mentioned, to have additional boot partitions on a secondary drive.

Bottom Line. You need to plan in advance what you want to do, but, quite complex boot scenarios are possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12