Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Remote Desktop cannot find computer

My Dell Optiplex 790 at work with Windows 8 has a DLINK DWA-130 USB Wireless connection to a mesh wireless network in a domain environment. I may be the only person having this issue in the office.

I'll be in Remote Desktop on a local server and it works just fine. And then I exit the Remote Desktop session.

Then, sometimes, not always, I will try and remote desktop to the same local server and I get the error message:

Remote Desktop cannot find computer 'FILL_IN_THE_BLANK'. This might mean that 'FILL_IN_THE_BLANK' does not belong to the specified network. Verify the computer name and domain you are trying to connect to.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Seems like there have been a few times when disconnecting and reconnecting the wifi seemed to help. Once, just leaving for awhile and coming back unintentionally seemed to clear it up, except then when I got out, I couldn't get back in again. Rebooting always fixes the problem. It is intermittent. Can't make it happen. If I connect via ethernet wire, I don't have the problem at all. Doesn't seem like I had the problem before I put in the mesh network. Wondering if any of this rings a bell with someone...

Seems like my Internet connection is still fine at this point...just can't remote desktop to the local server.
    Last edited by Starry173; 2013-10-23 at 10:17.

Thanks
    Do you log out of your Remote Desktop session, or do you simply exit, that is, hit the red X in the upper right corner?

If you hit the red X to exit, then you are leaving a disconnected session, and you may be having problems reconnecting with it.

The best way is to log out, then log back in as needed.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I think I found the problem...at some point, to correct a different problem (don't recall what that was), I added the DNS entries that are our "outside the LAN" DNS entries, in addition to the DNS entries for our DNS server. The entries for the DNS server should have been enough...perhaps it was to let me on to the Internet and not connect to our domain. I'm not sure. In any case, I was taking a look at that and decided to remove the extra DNS entries (3rd and 4th), so that the only DNS entries go to the DNS server on our domain controllers. Since I did that, so far, I've had no problems. So, tentatively, I am calling this solved...at least insofar as the actual problem I was having.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I always log out...to respond to Bronze Lounger. Thanks for responding.