5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A rocky start for the Windows 8.1 launch

PATCH WATCH

A rocky start for the Windows 8.1 launch

By Susan Bradley

Current Windows 8 users will get the update to Version 8.1 for free but be forewarned, Win8.1 is not without issues. Plus: Ongoing problems with recent Windows kernel updates, .NET patches safe to install, and more on nonsecurity updates.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/a-rocky-start-for-the-windows-8-1-launch/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2013-10-23 at 18:10.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Susan.

Re: your list of patches for Office 2013, I have recently discovered that I have no way of not installing them - or at least, I think that's the case.

I'm used to Office patches being part of Windows Update. They have been for many years, and were with the Office 2007 that I was using until a recent upgrade. Now, though, I get a separate Office Upgrade, with its own icon in the notifications area. Apparently I have "click and run" Office (which sounds like a "click and then get the heck out of there" sort of action, but never mind) and I am not supposed to use Windows Update for updates to Office. But this new version doesn't seem to allow me to review and not install things - the setting within office is either "install all updates" or "disable updates", neither of which are really what I want. Any thoughts that might help me decide? Thanks.

Stuart

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sjreynolds143 View Post
    Hi Susan.

Re: your list of patches for Office 2013, I have recently discovered that I have no way of not installing them - or at least, I think that's the case.

I'm used to Office patches being part of Windows Update. They have been for many years, and were with the Office 2007 that I was using until a recent upgrade. Now, though, I get a separate Office Upgrade, with its own icon in the notifications area. Apparently I have "click and run" Office (which sounds like a "click and then get the heck out of there" sort of action, but never mind) and I am not supposed to use Windows Update for updates to Office. But this new version doesn't seem to allow me to review and not install things - the setting within office is either "install all updates" or "disable updates", neither of which are really what I want. Any thoughts that might help me decide? Thanks.

Stuart
    Sounds like you have a retail version of 2013 which introduced "click to run" a new style of deployment. I'm going to be writing about that next.
    You get an 'app deployment' not a patch offering via Microsoft update.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "As noted in the Office Engineering blog, Microsoft released 35 nonsecurity Office updates on Oct. 8. Fortunately, I've not come across any reports of problems with these fixes. "

Well, here's your first then. My company uses Office 2010 Pro, that allows employees to purchase a full featured version for home use for 9.95. I had been using it for months, but the October patches wouldn't install. Kept re-offering them, but nothing worked. I dumped the whole suite and went back to Libre Office. At least that one works...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genej313 View Post
    "As noted in the Office Engineering blog, Microsoft released 35 nonsecurity Office updates on Oct. 8. Fortunately, I've not come across any reports of problems with these fixes. "

Well, here's your first then. My company uses Office 2010 Pro, that allows employees to purchase a full featured version for home use for 9.95. I had been using it for months, but the October patches wouldn't install. Kept re-offering them, but nothing worked. I dumped the whole suite and went back to Libre Office. At least that one works...
    You don't happen to remember the KB numbers do you? I've only see the USB kernel updates reoffered.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Any further recommendations since the 10-24 column re the Windows kernel-mode and USB driver updates from MS13-081? I'm still using Windows XP and am being offerred:
    KB 2847311, KB 2862330, KB 2862335, KB 2868038, and KB 2883150.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genej313 View Post

Gene:

This doesn't sound like a problem with some particular updates; it sounds like some other issue.

If you were to reinstall 2010 Pro and try again, we could help you troubleshoot what is blocking the updates, if the problem recurs.

Jim