New Lounger
    Thanks

After W8.1 Upgrade Wired NIC reports 'Cable Disconnected' on boot sometimes

Start on the first boot to the desktop after the upgrade to W8.1. It reported it could NOT connect to a network. Once I got to the desktop I opened the NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER and DISABLED and ENABLED my NIC. That made the connection. All was OK for a boot or two after that. However, on a cold boot it is a 50/50 chance that it will not see the cable connected.

I've tried UNINSTALLING the NIC (RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller) and re-installing. Again, a 50/50 chance it works on boot. I then went to the RealTek site and noticed they had a later driver with W8.1 listed. Got the driver, uninstalled the old one and installed. No change, same problem?

Suggestions?

Irv S.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried a different cable?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Question, why/how could the original cable 'go bad' concurrent with update to W8.1?

This is a Dell and the rear network connector has 2 lights, one for speed and the other blinks when connected. This morning the connectoid has the red X on it. Went to the back, removed the existing CAT 5e cable and put it back in. Network connected... hmm, shutdown and switch to a different CAT 5e cable and booted. Network came up on boot. Shutdown, switched back to old cable and booted... network came up? Decided to shutdown and put the new cable in, booted, network came up, so I'll leave that one in for a few days and see if this is solved.

I'm wondering if it could be nothing more than a 'loose' connection? Desktop unit was moved a few weeks ago and the router last week. Maybe just re-seating the cable is all that was needed?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes maybe loose, maybe the autosense was messed up and it got a proper detect upon reconnecting.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    With the new cable in it worked OK 3 times today.

I'll wait a week or so and if I get NO fails, I'll retry the old cable just in case it did have a loose connection. If it fails, I'll use the new cable (which is longer).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Played with the old cable today... and it is 'suspect' to say the least. On one power-up the yellow triangle with the not sign showed up briefly and then connected. Another did connect, and one got the cable disconnected red x.

So, I put back the new cable. It has never failed to connect.

I'll use the new one, but I can't understand why the Update caused this to happen? More picky about signal strength?

Anyway, I'll see what happens with the new cable. NIC is on the motherboard, so if it should fail I'll get a PCIe card and see what happens?

Looked at the contacts on the old cable and can't see anything unusual at all?