Thanks

Access advice needed

I have a very useful Access 2003 application that manages the membership aspects of a 1200-member Navy ship reunion group. It was developed 8-9 years ago by me and an Access guru. I provided the insight into what was needed, plus a bit of Access knowledge. He provided deep Access and VBA knowledge, with an ability to turn my ideas into beautiful software. The result was REALLY good, and basically remains so.

The guru has moved on, and it's time to update the system (fix a few bugs, maybe go to a newer version of Access, etc.). My own skills are very rusty, and never were that good anyway. There is also a need to develop a new application, based on this one, with some necessary changes and additions, for a 1000 member group of a different kind.

I need some guidance on how to proceed. At this time, I don't need any programming help. Best would be if I could Skype or have a phone conversation with someone who has a lot of Access knowledge. I live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. If you might be able to help me, reply here and we'll figure out how to get together.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You will need a pretty good bit of programming knowledge and skill in order to take over the maintenance of this database, if it involves more than just data input.

My guess is that in your 1200 member group, there is someone who is handy with Access and VBA, and also someone who is enthusiastic about it.

As far as updating the system, if you're concerned about being out of date, I wouldn't worry about it. The only real problem that you may have is that with a product as old as this, you may have some internet vulnerability. To protect the system from that sort of danger, you could install it on a computer that is not on the internet. If you do that, you could use it forever with no real problems.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You will need a pretty good bit of programming knowledge and skill in order to take over the maintenance of this database, if it involves more than just data input.
    That's what I'm looking for. I need some senior consultation first, though.

My guess is that in your 1200 member group, there is someone who is handy with Access and VBA, and also someone who is enthusiastic about it.
    Not likely. These are ex-sailors mostly in their 60s, 70s and 80s. About half don't even have email. Very few are much into computers.

As far as updating the system, if you're concerned about being out of date, I wouldn't worry about it. The only real problem that you may have is that with a product as old as this, you may have some internet vulnerability. To protect the system from that sort of danger, you could install it on a computer that is not on the internet. If you do that, you could use it forever with no real problems.
    Yes, but there are some bugs and a few other issues, and I use it daily, often with the Internet.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Lou,

I do access development and can help.

Bill Ross
    wlr@genoagroup.com