New Lounger
    Thanks

"cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application"

I have a computing for farming database which i used with a trail version of access 2010. This trail version has run out. I now have access 2013 but get this error message when trying to open the database "cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application".

Is there a way i can convert the database so it works with access 2013?

Thanks very much!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You are more likely to have success with this question over at the UtterAccess forum.

However I note from MS here that, unlike Access 2010 and earlier version, Access 2013 cannot open Access 97 databases. If your database is indeed in Access 97 format, and you did not choose to update it when you had Access 2010, then you may be stuck ...

Thanks
    Open the database with Access 2010, and save it in 2010 format. Then open the newly saved database using Access 2013.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Open the database with Access 2010, and save it in 2010 format. Then open the newly saved database using Access 2013.
    Let's clear the air a bit here. There is no such thing as a 2013 or 2010 database format.

Access 2010 and 2013 both support two formats, .accdb and .mdb, but .mdb is only supported for databases created in Access 2000 or later. In this case it is very likely an Access97 format database, which cannot be converted in 2013, but it appears the original poster does not have a functional version of 2010 or older. I would suggest he find a local friend who has an older version of Access and see if it can be converted to a Jet 4 version .mdb file. Then he should be able to open it in 2013.

I should also note that while the UtterAccess forum is a great resource for advanced Access developers, the Databases forum at Windows Secrets covers a broader range of database products, and works more with novice users. There are also a number of advanced developers who frequent this forum and are willing to help, and provide knowlegeable assistance.
    Wendell