3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lenovo Edge11: Wireless simply stopped working

My Lenovo Edge11 is a fantastic little laptop. Does all I need as a travel machine.

Just recently, the wireless has packed up. I don't normally fret too much, because when I am out of town, I use the built in Gobi3G modem, and in the office I use a LAN cable. But........... I am soon travelling through Europe, which means cellular roaming or indistinct 3G connectivity. No LAN points....... so I need wireless.

There is no wireless adapter showing up under Device Manager. My guess is the wireless module has died - is this a possibility? should I try to get a new mini card and insert it? The wireless part is an Intel Model 112BNHMW Wireless-N 1000 card. Searching e-bay and Amazon, its cheap in the USA but the shipping will cost even more to South Africa........!

Any suggestions?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - now I am really confused..........

Bluetooth and Wireless are supposed to be activated by the same card (they are turned on or off together). How come I have Bluetooth, but no wireless?

In DEvice Manager, there is a Bluetooth network adapter, and the ethernet adapter, but still no wireless

Is there somewhere in the system that turns the wireless function off? I have looked through teh BIOS, and the wireless function is turned ON!
    Last edited by Photorer; 2013-10-24 at 07:10.

Thanks
    In Device Manager, all network adapters should be listed under Network adapters. There should be at least two: one for wired (ethernet) and one for wireless.

One of mine has "Gigabit" as part of its name, and the other has "Advanced-N" as part of the name. Without digging any deeper than that, I would say that the "Gigabit" one is the wired one, and the "Advanced-N" one is the wireless one.

If you don't find your wireless adapter listed under Network Adapters in Device manager, perhaps there is a hardware problem with the adapter.

I would start by making sure that any wireless switch is turned on (sometimes there will be a switch for turning it on or off), and then reinstalling the driver.

If that doesn't fix it, then the cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to get a USB wifi adapter, and plug it in as needed.

Thanks
    I would start by making sure that any wireless switch is turned on (sometimes there will be a switch for turning it on or off)
    Had me confused for hours. LOL Yes there should very well be a switch, at least on my Lenovo laptop.
    I had accidentally switched wifi off while carrying the machine.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Had me confused for hours. LOL Yes there should very well be a switch, at least on my Lenovo laptop.
    I had accidentally switched wifi off while carrying the machine.
    It took me a while to figure out which way was on and which way was off. (When it shows red, it is off, the opposite of what you would think.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Some times it is activated via a function key such as FN+wireless mast symbol (F2).

But as the OP has not replied for 3 days maybe he resolved it himself.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the wireless adapter turned on?
    -Yes it is - checked the BIOS, and it is enabled.
    -Function is available (software on/off) using Fn + F9, as well as the management software from Lenovo.
    No luck....

So, here's the latest installment in the saga:

Found new drivers for the Wireless card, and installed them successfully. When the installation finished, I get a report: "There is no Wireless Hardware Installed"

This would make me believe that there is a problem with the card, and I will now see if I can replace it with a new one. Wait for the next installment.......
    Last edited by Photorer; 2013-11-06 at 02:07.