New Lounger
    Thanks

Problems starting Windows-7 using SSD Hard Disk

Hi,
    I purchased a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB Hard Drive to try to speed up my desktop computer...it's a few years old now, anyhow I cloned my original C drive onto the SSD using their migration wizard software which copied alright. the problem I'm having is windows 7 wont start up using the SSD drive. The Award bios is detecting the drive up as 0 and auto detected the drive ok, but when I save and reboot it still will not start.

If I connect the original Seagate sata C drive back up windows starts no problems!

The mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-8S648FX-775-C with the latest F3 bios upgrade, 2Mb DDR400 SDRAM, P4 800 3.6Mhz CPU, Windows-7 Ultimate 32 bit.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? any help would be much appreciated.

cheers, Keith.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See if this helps: http://youtu.be/qMo8krAJd5Q

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Yes have been through that procedure...but still wont boot from SSD.

Thanks
    Check Disk Management from within the old install, is the SSD marked as Active?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem when I upgraded from HDD to SSD, though using different software. My notes from that time are that the solution was to disconnect the old drive and boot the system from the Windows [7] start-up/install DVD, then run the repair option - had to do this several times until the repair that was carried out related to the boot manager.

I think the cause was that my copy program had not copied over the boot manager i.e. it had copied only the partition and not the 'whole disk'? HTH.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Yes disk management states healthy, active primary partition.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I tried your solution a few times "startup repair" from my original DVD and kept getting the message from the report "Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully!" But it didn't...go figure?

I'll try reformatting the SSD with boot partition again and try a fresh Windows-7 install to see it that works.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Aye, migration wizards for SSDs will align the partition if need be and that will often times cause it not to boot so ya need to run start up repair from an install DVD or repair Win 7 repair disc as post 5 suggests.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I connected a brand new Samsung 500GB SSD to my computer and had Windows-7 DVD disk in my dvd-rom drive, changed boot sequence to boot from cd-rom.

went to do a fresh install of windows on the new drive and after about half an hour windows stopped copying files and came up with a error message....

Windows could not install required files...the files may me corrupt or missing, make sure all files for installation are available, and restart the instillation.

error code: 0x80070017.

Any ideas why this is happening, i'm using a genuine windows DVD, can't figure this one out!!!.

Thanks
    Is the DVD clean (fingerprints, smudges, scratches, etc.)?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As suggested by bbearren, it sounds like you have problems with your DVD or possibly with the drive. I think gentle radial wiping of the DVD is the best way to try to clean it.

I suggest you use something like WinToFlash (here) to try to create a bootable USB stick from your DVD and then run install from USB. It will be much faster - and once you have successfully made the bootable USB stick you can be pretty confident that the data on there is okay.

I still don't think you should need to go with a completely new install of Win7, it should be possible to repair the SSD and get your old version working on the new drive, but it's your choice...