2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Outlook Calendar on Android?

I've been using Outlook 2010 since, well, 2010. It's familiar. I like having a single calendar to maintain.

I need to have a synched calendar while away from the office, ideally using my Android phone.

I've heard that synching Outlook with Google Calendar can't be done anymore.

Does Outlook.com and its Android app have anything useful? If so, I wasn't able to find it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Neal

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Neal,

I take it you are using Outlook 2010 with a POP3 email account, who is the provider?

Plenty of options (all of which are built into recent Andriod revisions, no apps needed),
    Outlook.com (I haven't tested it personally, but I believe it does calendar sync)
    Office 365 with your own domain name
    Google Gmail (free or business)

If you must stick with Outlook 2010 and want full synchronization of email/calendar/life then move to Office 365.

If you are happy to ditch Outlook, it is only software after all. Then migrate to Google Gmail, there used to be an Outlook Gmail sync connector addon but I'm not sure if its available anymore.

POP3 forwarding to the new account or pop3 pull depending on service (office 365 and gmail offer this, outlook/hotmail might do).

Cheers

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Here is the list of features of Outlook.com Android app:

- Clean user design
    -Better spam blocking
    -Photo and document sharing
    -One-click message archiving
    -Extensive array of keyboard shortcuts
    -Inbox customization

You can check more features from here:
    http://www.oneclickroot.com/reviews/...hould-you-use/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am looking to sync Outlook (calendar, contacts, tasks and notes) with Samsung Galaxy Pocket phone but cannot seem to find suitable software. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could assist. Samsung Kies does not appear to do Tasks.
    Many thanks,
    Dennis

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    DenRoy - I moved from a Windows Phone to Android (Samsung Galaxy S3), and wanted to find the same quality of synchronisation of Outlook mail, contacts, calendar, etc, between my desktop Outlook 2010 and my smart phone. I was not going to use Google. What I concluded was that there is no interface between Android and Outlook that is as good as Windows Mobile Device Center.

Samsung Kies is absolutely hopeless. There are about half-a-dozen other interfaces, none as good as WMDC. What I have finished with is Android-Sync, the least worst of what is on offer. It is far from perfect, but will do until something better comes along. It will only sync by USB cable, does not offer Bluetooth.

You might want to avoid My Phone Explorer, which added all manner of malware, hijacked my browser, all of which I then had to remove. The publisher says this is the price of "free" software.

I hope this is of some help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi John
    Many thanks for all your information. It is greatly appreciated. I will follow up on your advice.
    Kind regards
    DenRoy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    DenRoy - you started me thinking again! As i said, Android Sync was OK, but possibly not the last word.

See this Lounge thread on the subject http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ndroid+outlook

One product of which I had not heard was "The Missing Sync" - well, yes.

See this article, now 18 months old, from PC Magazine http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382337,00.asp, also the Missing Sync website http://www.markspace.com/ I might give this one a try, see how it works.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    John
    Many thanks for the further information. It is amazing that there is no top class software to enable android to compete competitively with Blackberry, Windows and Apple.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi John, For your information, I have been using "the Missing Link" on a trial basis but there is a problem with how the logic works on an "All Day Event". When it transfers to the phone it moves the event to the next day. I have also found a few occasions where calender events are duplicated when re-syncing at a later date. I have been using the syncing option where the phone and Outlook update each other dependent on the latest dated data. My settings may not be correct but I will revert to only updating from Outlook to the phone. I was keen to try Android Sync but it looks like you have to buy the licence without being able to trial it.
    Regards, Dennis

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are still versions of Google Calendar Sync that work with Outlook 2010. I'm using v. 0.9.4.1 with no issues syncing Outlook 2010 from Office Pro Plus 2010 on my Win7-64 machine.

There may be other versions that work as well if not better. Try a general search for "googlecalendarsync_installer.exe". You may need to try a couple before you find one that works.

There are also several paid apps that work.

Good luck!

brugan

11. The Following User Says Thank You to brugan For This Useful Post:

DenRoy (2013-10-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Brugan
    Many thanks for your input. I have bought a licence for Android Sync and that seems to be working relatively well, but not as well as Blackberry.
    Regards, Dennis