Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there one good reason to upgrade to 8.1?

Woody said in top October 3 top story: For anyone already using Windows 8, upgrading to Version 8.1 is a no-brainer. To me, NOT upgrading is a no-brainer.

I have yet to read one positive thing about 8.1 - albeit it's vaguely said to run quicker. No explanation or facts given on that.

But every change touted in this new version has me fleeing it. Windows 8 is fine - I'm safe and secure in Start8's environment and I don't think I've once entered the Metro world. I do not want to have to set up a new account to avoid my searches being tracked; I do not want to have to change settings to avoid my hard-drive searches collating a load of stuff from EVERYWHERE (Google's there for heaven's sake); I don't want Skydrive and I certainly don't want all my libraries "turned into a shambles" and have to follow the instructions in Fred's article to sort it out. And wow...the prospect of having to reinstall third party software.
    Really, why give yourself so much stress ...and for what? That's what I want to know: one good thing about 8.1.

Thanks
    I've recently upgraded to 8.1, but I don't see any compelling reason for advocate anyone else doing so.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    This sums up what's new in Windows 8.1

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../dn140266.aspx

I wrote it before, I believe the improvements are in greater number applicable to those who use Windows in an enterprise environment. If you are looking for a killer feature, there is really none. This is a more polished OS, with more stuff doable from the Metro side. I believe that the one reason to upgrade is because you can keep up with the latest OS version, for free and there is no reason not to, IMO. Any improvements that come from now on, will be targeted to 8.1, not 8.0.

My libraries are fine, thank you. Zero troubles with it. No stress whatsoever, either.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Other than taking a moment to un-clench every time the term start menu is mentioned instead of start button, I think all Woody's advisement was directed at those looking for a more usable Metro side of things, more screen options, better organization and so forth, that's the no-brainer part.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    This sums up what's new in Windows 8.1

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../dn140266.aspx

I wrote it before, I believe the improvements are in greater number applicable to those who use Windows in an enterprise environment. If you are looking for a killer feature, there is really none. This is a more polished OS, with more stuff doable from the Metro side. I believe that the one reason to upgrade is because you can keep up with the latest OS version, for free and there is no reason not to, IMO. Any improvements that come from now on, will be targeted to 8.1, not 8.0.

My libraries are fine, thank you. Zero troubles with it. No stress whatsoever, either.
    Thanks, ruirib. Not being in the corporate world, the only benefit then for the home user is your point about future improvements. It still seems stressful to me to have to jump through hoops for that. Surely, versions 8.whatever, when they come, will still be installable.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's free (and will be supported for five years longer).

I didn't understand the libraries "turned into a shambles" comment either. Libraries are fine on 8.1.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-10-24 at 14:05.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It's free (and will be supported for five years longer).

I didn't understand the libraries "turned into a shambles" comment either. Libraries are fine on 8.1.

Bruce
    I was quoting Woody (Oct 19):
    In this brave new anti-libraries world, your default Music Library includes only \Music. Same for Pictures and Videos. So, for example, if you use Windows Media Player to get at your Music Library, you won't see music stored in the \Public\Music folder unless you manually add that folder to your Music Library. And the only easy way to share those tunes — short of fixing the lousy libraries — is to put them in SkyDrive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Microsoft's official take on the advantages: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/w...ndows-8-1.aspx

Doesn't really add much to what was said before.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timsinc View Post
    I was quoting Woody (Oct 19):
    In this brave new anti-libraries world, your default Music Library includes only \Music. Same for Pictures and Videos. So, for example, if you use Windows Media Player to get at your Music Library, you won't see music stored in the \Public\Music folder unless you manually add that folder to your Music Library. And the only easy way to share those tunes — short of fixing the lousy libraries — is to put them in SkyDrive.
    Most libraries only came with 2 entries anyway so it dead simple to add the public equivalents back in. I think what was really irksome for Woody is that SkyDrive supersedes the display of Libraries in Explorer. I feel Microsoft trying to herd me as well in certain directions instead of offering equal and unhindered choice and it has the hair up on the back of my neck as well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No.I didn't find anything that outstanding in Windows 8.1.

Thanks
    I like the layout of the Metro Screen more than was available in Win 8. I also believe the search function on the Metro side works better. I believe MS has added support for Pop mail in the mail app.

From a Desktop standpoint, I'm not sure there is a truly compelling reason to move except as has been stated. This will keep up with the latest tech. in OSes from MS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The Metro Mail app still does not have Pop support.

Jerry

Thanks
    I stand corrected. I guess I should have checked first.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Rational #1 in the above article is the main substantive reason to upgrade, the rest is just candy.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast