3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Canon ip4700 quit

My Canon ip4700 printer has worked well. Great photos. Suddenly it will not power up. No green light. No yellow light. Is there something I can do, or do I have to buy a new printer. Doesn't seem like any use the same color toner units.

Thanks
    Make sure all sections of the power cord are connected securely.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then you can test the power supply to see if it is getting power. Get a multimeter (available at WalMart, AutoZone, or many other stores). I suggest that you get an analog one (with the needle), because they are a lot simpler to understand and use.

To test it, just plug it in and see if there is power at the part that plugs into the printer.

If the power supply has power, then the printer is bad. If the power supply doesn't have power, then it is bad.

Of course, if you haven't had the printer that long, maybe you can get it replaced under warranty.

WalMart.com sometimes has a Canon Pixma printer just like yours at a reasonable price.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-10-24 at 15:27.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Power cord is fine (first thing I checked). As to the power supply -- that's internal and does not look like it is accessible. -- My Walmart (100 miles away) had a couple of Canon printers, but they use different color toner units. ... I have about $400 worth of color toner on hand -- don't want to throw them away. I live rural ... so when I get a chance to visit Costco, I stock up. Can't just run to a local store when I need more.

Thanks
    I'd call Canon and see if they might help you out. You might get lucky.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm. I tried Canon support once before ... not much help. They're not much interested in helping on $100 dollar printers.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can get your model of printer here if cannot get a repair.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link. They have it ... for a price that is about 3.5 times what I paid for my unit originally. I'll keep it in mind. But I'm beginning to think I may have to get a new one, and toss the current toner carts.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to take back what I said earlier about Canon support. They have been helpful. There was no direct answer to the printer problem. But they did offer and give a discount on a replacement printer from their e-store with no shipping charge. So I look forward now to the replacement coming.

Thanks
    Looks like it will all work out for you. Hopefully it's the same model printer, or at least one which will use the same toner cartridges.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately that model printer does not seem to be available ... except at some on-line sites for 3 times the original price. And, no, the toner carts don't seem to work with any current printers -- and that is a bummer. Guess sometimes you just have to accept changes in technology.