Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

With Windows 8, "off" isn't really off

So said Fred way back in January. At that time it didn't really impinge on me, I had no intenetion of ever getting involved with this cr*ppy looking OS. Unfortunately my wife's laptop ran into a serious problem, Win 7 needed to be restored from the bottom up, the recovery partition was damaged so I got recovery disks from HP. Well it's hard to believe that that would make things worse, but I've learned a lot about HP support since then. So I've ordered a new laptop, unsurprisingly not from HP. Unfortunately the only ones I'd consider come with Win 8. I've been reading up everything I can about Win 8 and came across this article about off not being off. So my question is what is running? The hard disk? RAM? How much power does it consume?

Any help out there?

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Nothing will be running and no power will be consumed. It's just a process that ensures a quicker boot, by not booting from a full shutdown state. Fred explained it in his article:

When you issue a standard power-down command to Win8, it carries out a hybrid shutdown. Win8 first closes and terminates all user sessions in the expected way. Next, it copies what’s still running in RAM (primarily, the live core of the operating system — the system kernel) onto the hard drive. It then turns off the system hardware.

When Win8 starts up after a hybrid shutdown, it performs a hybrid boot. As soon as the hardware’s ready, the core of the OS reloads from the hard drive; Win8 then picks up right from where it left off. Thus, the OS itself is up and ready to go in a flash. You still have to reload your apps and data the normal way, from scratch.

So, the computer does shutdown, but Windows uses the data it saved before the shutdown, to boot faster. Only when you choose the restart option, does it boot completely, without using any previously saved data.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

plumber53 (2013-10-29),Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

Thanks
    Nothing is running. The PC is essentially in a hybrid Hibernate state when you hit the off button whereby current state is written to the hard drive and the unit is powered off.

See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/olivnie/arch...fast-boot.aspx for details.

You can turn this off if you like:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

Thanks
    David: I have found that Windows 8 seems to run faster and more efficiently than Windows 7. It seems to me to be more stable.

For the record, I have Windows 8-32 bit Professional, with 2 GB of RAM and a +/- 340 GB hard drive. I operate entirely in Desktop mode. But a few months ago, I had Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate on the same computer. The only difference is the version of Windows.

If, as it sounds like, you really hate the Windows 8 interface, you can easily resolve that. Just install one of the add-in programs that gives you the Windows 7 style start button / start menu. I personally use StartIsBack, and I am very happy with it. Other people, however, use other similar products, and they seem very happy with them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the inputs. And mrjimhelps you hit the nail right on the head, 1 hour of Win 8 and I'm thinking MAC. Win 8 may be more stable than 7, may be faster, more secure, but there's no need to throw away a user interface that is familiar to hundreds of millions of people no matter what "improvements" have been incorporated. When I get into a car, be it in the US, or China, or Europe about the only thing that's different is which side is the steering wheel on. That's it. The pedals are where they've been for 100 years, you do not need to go to driving school, or learn how to jump throgh new hoops, just get in and go.

I have used DOS since V2, and Windows since V3.0, never wanted a Mac, but if I'm going to start over maybe it's time to really start over. I'll take a look at the add-in programs, but I'll also take a look at the returns policy.

Thanks again for the help

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2013-10-25 at 01:00. Reason: clarification

Thanks
    I tried Windows 8 for about a month, with no add-ins. I continually felt like I was typing with one hand tied behind my back. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Then I installed StartIsBack. Since that time, I have been very pleased with Windows 8. There is little to none of the ridiculous part that I ever have to deal with now; about all I ever see is almost exactly like Windows 7, except that it is faster and more stable.

Before you ditch Windows 8, try installing StartIsBack. My guess is that you will stay with Windows 8, once you do that.

Speaking of DOS, I started with DOS 3.2. Although my first computer was an Atari ST 1040, my first IBM compatible computer was the original IBM PC.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-10-25 at 02:28.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

Thanks
    "Fast Start" has been know to play havoc with drive partitions, particularly in a dual boot situation.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

Thanks
    The no Start Menu thing has been discussed to death in MANY threads. Just install Start8 (from Stardock) or Classic Shell or StartIsBack and be done with it. With any of these Start Menu replacements you can boot directly to the Desktop and have your comfortable Win 7 style feel back.

Even without one of these apps, if you place the Desktop Tile on the Start Screen in the upper left corner of the tile groups, simply pressing Enter will take you to the Desktop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The no Start Menu thing has been discussed to death in MANY threads. Just install Start8 (from Stardock) or Classic Shell or StartIsBack and be done with it. With any of these Start Menu replacements you can boot directly to the Desktop and have your comfortable Win 7 style feel back.

Even without one of these apps, if you place the Desktop Tile on the Start Screen in the upper left corner of the tile groups, simply pressing Enter will take you to the Desktop.
    C'mon, you don't want to discuss it again to death?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "....Even without one of these apps, if you place the Desktop Tile on the Start Screen in the upper left corner of the tile groups, simply pressing Enter will take you to the Desktop."

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, but this quote from Medico's reply just about sums up my problem with Win Cr*p. "All you have to do is... " I don't know about Tiles, I do not want to know about them, they are things that are stuck on bathroom walls, and kitchen floors, they bear no relationship to computers. And then there are some icons that sometimes slide out from the righthand edge of the screen, and sometimes don't. I have no idea what they are, they always disappear before I can find out what they signify.

I heard a very interesting program on the BBC World Service, the gist of which was that companies that raise the customers' blood pressure always fall on hard times in the long run. And there were actual examples quoted. Having just experienced HP's support I know about blood pressure, and I will never buy anything from HP again. By contrast Canon's support for cameras is a joy to use. I call, 2 selections, and within a minute I'm speaking to an native-English speaker, in the US, who knows the camera, and the answer to my question. Sony in my experience is just about as good. The new laptop is an Asus, I e-mailed them yesterday, so far I've had an acknowlegement which said they "hoped" to respond within 48 hours. Hardly impressive considering I only bought it yesterday and had to include the purchase date in the original query.

I have Start8 running. It is an improvement, but I'd like to try Classic Shell. I assume that I will need to uninstall Start8, it is listed in Control Panel > Uninstall, but when I select it a window pops, "Before uninstalling ensure tha Start8 is not running." Task Manager, (glory be...the same keyboard short-cut still work!) shows "Stardock Start8 Service" & "Start8" as running. Can I simply end both?

David

Thanks
    If you uninstall Start8 using something like Revo Uninstaller I suspect you will not have this problem. If so, just end the services then do the uninstall.

You will find there are a few more customizations on Classic Shell. I have Start8 and my wife has Classic Shell. Also Start8 and StartIsBack require a minimum payment for their continued use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Start8 and StartIsBack require a minimum payment for their continued use.
    StartIsBack is free for 90 days; thereafter, it is $3 for two PCs.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    there are some icons that sometimes slide out from the righthand edge of the screen, and sometimes don't. I have no idea what they are, they always disappear before I can find out what they signify.
    Those icons are the "charms" bar. If you put your cursor in the upper or lower right corner of the screen, the charms bar appears.

I actually don't mind the charms bar, because there is that rare occasion when I somehow get thrown into "metro" mode; at that point, the easiest way back to Desktop mode is to click the Start icon on the charms bar, then click the Desktop icon.

One of the very few irritations I have to deal with in Windows 8 with StartIsBack loaded.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

Thanks
    You can also disable the hot corners on the Desktop With Start8 and Classic Shell. I have not tried StartIsBack. This effectively turns Chars off unless you are on the Start Screen.

When on the Desktop and the Charms are disabled you can open them by using Win + C. This allows them to be opened one time. Many of the PC customizations are accomplished from Charms, Settings, Change PC Settings.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

Thanks
    You can also disable the Hot corners in Windows 8 by
    Right clicking on a blank area of the task bar
    click on Properties
    Click on the Navigation tab

You can uncheck the corner navigation boxes as desired.

I disabled the hot spots via Classic shell but this procedure is available to Win 8.1 users that prefer not to load an external shell.

Jerry

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Rhinoceros (2013-10-25)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast