Thanks

No wireless networks found in range

System components
    Verizon DSL non-wireless modem
    Netgear wireless router
    Computer 1: Dell desktop Windows XP hardwired works ok
    Computer 2: Windows 7 laptop works wirelessly
    Computer 3: Toshiba laptop Doesn't work wirelessly
    --- This is the computer that gives me the message No wireless networks found in range
    --- How can I get this Toshiba laptop to work wirelessly?

The system isn't networked, the Windows 7 Ultimate laptop just finds the Netgear wireless router
    --- How can I do the same for the Toshiba laptop
    --- Do I have to hard wire the Toshiba laptop to the Netgear wireless router to do some setup before trying it wirelessly?

I've used some instructions on-line but but none of them worked and I've lost track of what I tried

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    My guess is that wireless is either off or disabled on the Toshiba.

See if there's a switch that turns it on (there often is); that will be the easiest thing to check.

If the wireless switch is on, and you still don't have wireless, then check Device Manager to make sure that Wireless is not disabled. If it is disabled, enable it.

One other possibility: Does your SSID name have a space in it? I have seen situations where a space in the SSID causes a laptop not to be able to connect, even though other devices were able to connect; however, when the space was eliminated from the SSID, the laptop connected immediately.

For instance: "My Router" vs "MyRouter".
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-10-25 at 01:42.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-10-25)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    If Mr Jim's suggestion doesn't work, you may also want to check the channel being used by the wireless router and make sure the Toshiba is configured to use it too.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-10-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried the wi-fi button and nothing changes
    The SSID does not have a space in it (I have seen the issue on some computers so I can relate to what you mean)
    Device manager reports the Wireless Network Adapter (Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection) is ok
    --- I cannot check the channel in the wireless router because I can't get into it
    --- The user & password that was given to me doesn't work
    ------ The "expert" who set it up doesn't have a clue as to why it doesn't work
    ------ Another case of poor documentation
    --- I know I can reset the wireless router and start over but I was hoping to be able use it as is because the Windows 7 laptop works fine wirelessly

Administrator
    Thanks
    Probably there aren't many options other than going through a reset...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-10-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple more questions, does the working laptop just see your router, or does it see others? If you can identify more than 1 on the working one and none on the faulty, then it's likely the laptop, not the router.
    Most laptops have two ways of connecting: using the built in Microsoft wireless software and using the specific wifi device software. Try each separately, as one often works when the other doesn't.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMac56 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-10-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The working laptop does include the Netgear wireless router in its setup
    I believe the fault in the Toshiba is due to its wireless settings but I don't have enough experience to know what to do other than trial & error so I just bought a book on understanding networking and what comes with it
    As stated reset is the way to go but I want an understanding of what I'm doing
    BTW, the computer isn't mine so the "expert" who set it up can decide what he wants to do
    --- I suspect he'll tell my brother he can keep it since it's an older laptop
    --- If that happens, I'll consider a wireless USB adapter
    I did well with one on my sons computer and I did not have problems understanding what was basically going on

Administrator
    Thanks
    You can also check the working laptop settings and try to reproduce them in the Toshiba. Can you tell which is the Toshiba model in question?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-10-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I will check the working laptop settings. Thank you for that

Well, I was able to get into the Netgear configuration
    --- After listening to how the user password were entered, it appeared to me they either didn't take or were not confirmed
    --- Your idea that you mentioned about the possibility of an empty space helped me when I realized the attempted new user name did have an empty space
    --- So I'll be looking at the wireless routers settings and see if I can enter the laptop's IP address, maybe MAC address, or whatever it takes for the non-working laptop to connect wirelessly

I know my original intent was questioning the no wireless networks found in range, but I should have mentioned that the wireless network connection icon reads :not connected
    --- Hopefully I'll get enough or at least a little experience in relating to such messages

Administrator
    Thanks
    Since you managed to get into the router, check the channel in use and the wireless mode (a, b, g or n) and check whether they are both compatible with the settings on the laptop.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is the information I rounded up
    I have what I believe should be recommended changes based on articles I’ve read indicating that wireless modes and security settings should be the same on each unit. As a result, I am using the Toshiba settings as a guideline.
    Naturally if higher settings on the Netgear & Alienware laptops are ok to use, I’ll be glad to do so.
    I also noticed I didn’t identify the working laptop in my previous posts but it’s the Alienware laptop.

Channel:
    Netgear router: Auto
    Alienware laptop: I haven’t been able to determine it on this computer
    Toshiba laptop: I haven’t been able to determine it on this computer

Netgear Wireless modes:
    --- Up to 54 Mbps b/g only, Up to 65 Mbps b/g/n mixed mode (neighbor friendly)
    --- Up to 150 Mbps b/g/n mixed mode
    --- Up to 150 Mbps g/n only, Up to 150 Mbps n only and Up to 150 Mbps g/n only
    --- 10/26/13 setting is Up to 150 Mbps g/n only. I plan on leaving this setting as is.
    Netgear Security options: None, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), (WPA2-PSK (AES), WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA-PSK (AES) and WPA/WPA2 Enterprise
    --- 10/26/13 setting is WPA2-PSK (AES). I’m thinking of changing this to WPA-PSK (TKIP)

Alienware laptop wireless modes: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11a/g, 802.11b/g & 802.11a/b/g
    --- However today’s setting 10/26/13 setting is Ad Hoc Channel 802.11a with a value of 1.36
    ------ This setting doesn’t make sense to me
    ------ I believe this should be changed to 802.11b/g
    Alienware laptop security options: No Authentication (Open), Shared, WPA2-Personal, WPA-Personal,
    WPA2-Enterprise, WPA-Enterprise and 802.1X with Encryptions TKIP & AES
    --- 10/26/13 setting is WPA2-Personal (AES)
    --- Does changing this to WPA2-Personal/TKIP make sense?

Toshiba laptop wireless modes
    Available options are Ad Hoc Transmit Power, Mixed mode protection. Power Management & Wireless mode
    --- Ad Hoc Transmit Power is highlighted with use default value checked 10/26/13 setting
    --- Wireless mode with 802.11g and 802.11b is available, which I plan on changing to
    Toshiba laptop security modes
    --- Network authentication options are Open, Shared, WPA & WPA-PSK
    --- Data Encryptions is TKIP for WPA & WPA-PSK
    --- Today’s setting 10/26/13 is WPA-PSK/TKIP. It appears to me that I can leave this as is

Administrator
    Thanks
    Seems your laptops do not support 802.11 n, so you should set the router to use 802.11 b/g.
    The safest encryption protocol available in your router is WPA2-Personal (AES). Are you sure this is not supported by the Toshiba, as well? You haven't yet let us know the Toshiba specific model, which would allow me to probably determine if this one is supported as well. If WPA2 with AES is not supported, then TKIP needs to be used. I would do it only if there was no other option.

I think there is something missing in your description of the toshiba wireless modes. Again, knowing the model would help a lot finding what its wireless adapter supports.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are right, I missed identifying the Toshiba laptop: It's a Tecra A2 with XP Pro SP3
    The Toshiba network adapter is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Administrator
    Thanks
    That adapter supports 802.11b and 802.11g. Clearly your router should be configured to support this. If you don't have phones accessing the wireless network, support for these two protocols is enough.
    On security, it seems the intel adapter supports WPA-PSK with AES encryption. I would probably choose this one.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2013-10-27)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great, that's what I'll go with