Thread: Tablet

1. Lounger
    Thanks

Tablet

I have been wanting a 'tablet' [or something similar] for awhile, so I saw this one at 'cell phone shop' for less than $150, so I bought it.
    Now it has just arrived, and in going through it, I find that there are listed 'trusted credentials'. What does this mean?
    and in looking at these, I find that I cannot delete any of these. A lot of these I want to remove.
    As in one of them says 'Chambers Of Commerce root - 2008 Organization is A C Camerfirma S A'.
    Another is 'AddTrust AB AddTrust, External CA Root'. And 'Affirm Trust Premium' Organization-- Affirm Trust'. And several in languages I cannot read!
    And as I said I cannot delete any of these, I don't know what to do. So far I have not connected this to my computer, though it does have a cord for that. Do I send it back?
    No, I have not contacted them. Although, that should be one of the first things to do, Right?
    Thanks for taking your time for my questions.

Betty Nelson

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Welcome to Windows Secrets!
    A trusted credential is a mechanism which protects secure transactions on the internet -- its purpose is to let the appropriate people transact business on secure websites, while keeping out the bad guys.

Here is a list of the ones that Mozilla distributes with its products (e.g. Firefox):
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...erts/included/

Those who issue these certificates are considered trusted sources, and therefore their certificates are trusted.

On occasion, one or more of these issuers have been compromised, but that is rare.

4. Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, This kinda 'blowed my mind' when I saw how many, and how many that simply said 'trust', but I see that some of the Mozilla distributions had many of the same 'trusted' certificates.
    Thanks again

Now I just need to learn how to work with it. [I can't find how to put a password into it-- It won't free the keypad so I can type in a password, before I Encrypt it]
    I do have a lot to learn before I can use this thing.

Appreciate your prompt reply
    Last edited by Betty Ann; 2013-10-25 at 16:19. Reason: add more explanation

5. Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for the help. I have worked with it some, but cannot get it where I can do much with it.
    My son looked at it and said 'Momma, don't buy anything else [electronic] unless I am with you'.
    He said that it had not very much memory and that was the most of the problem. He said that he would buy a memory card, [I think that was what he called it], that would make it pick up better and show more things quicker.
    Meantime I am back to my big [er] old[er] computer that is located in the 'colder' room.
    And things will be better soon, maybe.

Thanks
    You do not say what OS this tablet uses. $150 is probably some type of Android Tablet similar to a smart phone. You are probably limited to the Android Play Store apps. These tablets are not as useable, IMO, as are Windows Tablets. Good luck with it. You might want to listen to your son. If this were mine, I would return it and have him help me buy a good Tablet.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Nexus tablet and it's very usable - it's great actually. If you are only limited to the Play store you will be stuck with many hundreds of thousands of apps to use - I use 2 to do everything I want, the rest are built in.
    Adding memory isn't likely to make it quicker, just allow it to store more stuff. (Sons listen to their mates who don't know that much either, unless they are computer professionals.)

If you tell us what tablet it is we can suggest ways to reset it / places to find out.

cheers, Paul

p.s. check out the suggestions for lost / stolen tablets in this post.
    Last edited by Paul T; 2013-11-18 at 01:28.