New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 Requires Network Adapter to be Reset After Boot

Ever since I applied the Windows 8.1 upgrade, I fail to automatically connect to my home Wi-Fi network when I boot my laptop. When I run the Network Troubleshooter, it resets my network adapter and then I connect without a problem.

The Network Troubleshooter log doesn't tell me why it is resetting the network adapter, what the actual adaptor issue was or how to fix whatever this adapter issue might be so that it doesn't keep happening.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be happening here? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Lounger
    Thanks
    cjdahl60, here's a thought:

BEFORE doing this, at least create a Restore Point; then, in Device Manager, delete the driver for the WIFI chip or adapter and immediately Restart. This will cause Windows to reinstall the driver and that may resolve the issue. Incidentally, have you checked Windows Update for this item?

If the above fails, I would go to the site of your laptop's OEM, find the exact page for your machine and check for the relevant driver updated for Windows 8.1. Toshiba and ASUS made such updates available in a rolling release starting one week before 8.1.

If your laptop has OEM updating software that operates in Windows, by all means let it run a check as well; but I would still visit the site and look around.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HansPeter For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2013-10-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    HansPeter:

Thank you for the instructions. I created a restore point and then deleted the adapter driver from Device Manager. Windows restored the adapter driver upon reboot and now I successfully connect to my Wi-Fi network on boot up. Thanks again!