New Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple downloading of emails from server

I am using Outlook 2010 and my email server is BT Yahoo [i.e. I have a btinternet.com email address but Yahoo handles their email]. I have set Outlook to leave messages on the server for 4 weeks. Occasionally, Outlook will suddenly download all the emails in my Yahoo inbox - this morning it tried to download 400 emails it had already downloaded over the last 4 weeks. On a previous occasion, I had set a longer time to leave the emails on the server, and when I looked at my inbox one morning, Outlook had spent the whole night repeatedly downloading 1500 emails, so I had more than 10,000 messages in my inbox. Any ideas, anyone?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akinbiyi For This Useful Post:

rogertyokubaitis (2014-02-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not have a direct solution to the multiple-downloading-of-emails-from-server problem itself, which is a problem I too have had in the past and which quit for some reason.

Nevertheless, let me suggest that you first look in your copy of Outlook under:

File>Info>Account Settings>Email [tab]>[click on your Yahoo account name]>Change Account>More Settings ...>Advanced [tab]>Delivery>Leave a copy of messages on server

Back when I had your multiple-downloading-of-emails-from-server problem, I could uncheck the box to the left of the "Leave a copy of messages on server" option and that would totally eliminate the multiple downloading problem for me. It also made the people running the server happy not to have all of those e-mails just sitting on their server.

However, you might have need of leaving your Yahoo e-mails on the Yahoo server for any number of reasons and, consequently, you do not want to uncheck the "Leave a copy of messages on server" option.

Nevertheless, you can still tend to minimize the amount of e-mails being multiple-downloaded to you by Yahoo on your Outlook by going ahead and checking the box to the left of the "Remove from server after ___ days" option, but then setting the "____ days" to the absolute minimum number of days that you must leave e-mail on the Yahoo server because you then will continue to receive multiple downloading of e-mail for the number of days that you set in that "____ days" option, but you should not receive any more multiple downloading of e-mail from Yahoo to your Outlook for the days that are more than the number of days that you set in that same option.

As I said, I do not have a direct solution to the multiple-downloading-of-emails-from-server problem itself, but either (i) you can totally eliminate the multiple downloading problem or (ii) you can minimize the multiple downloading problem by following the above procedure.

Thanks
    Roger, welcome to the Lounge!

I agree with Roger -- if you reduce the number of days that your email stays on the server (even telling it to delete your email from the server as soon as it is downloaded), you could reduce or eliminate the problem. This is assuming that you have your email set up as POP3 (it sounds as if you do).

Another possible solution, if you don't have a huge amount of email in your mailbox, would be to switch to an IMAP setup. In an IMAP setup, you have exactly one copy of your email on the server, and that one copy is replicated to your email client -- the two stay synchronized. Therefore, if the server saw that you already had a copy of all of the email on your email client, it wouldn't try to copy it again. It would copy only what is missing. Likewise, if your email client had a copy of an email, but that particular email wasn't on the server, the server would make itself a copy of that one email only.

If you have a huge amount of email in your mailbox, you may end up going over your email service's maximum limits in an IMAP setup, because all of your email is always kept on the server when you use IMAP. POP3 avoids this problem by removing the email from the server at some point after it is downloaded to your email client.