I'm wondering if others have encountered this.
I recently needed to do a clean reinstall on my desktop computer - an HP. For a variety of reasons, I needed to do a full clean reinstall, meaning:
- Full clean reinstall of Windows 7 from the HP Recovery partition
- Download and clean install of WIndows 8 Pro 64-bit (including format of the C drive) from the Microsoft site
- Multiple runs of Windows Update to install all updates
- Download and install of Windows 8.1 from the WIndows store
Now that I'm installing programs (ie, Windows 8.1 is up and running), I'm encountering a problem I've not seen before. Regardless of the apps I'm installing:
- Office 365
- Apps from the Windows store
- Apps with their own installer
the apps are NOT showing up on the Windows 8 start screen (ie, the Metro interface). The apps are installed. I can successfully search for them and manually pin them to the start screen. That's not the problem. I would like to restore (actually start) the behavior where newly installed apps automatically show up on the Start screen - particularly when they're Microsoft apps that I install from Microsoft or from the Windows store.
Any thoughts? Thanks.