New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 is fast! Win 8.1 is sloooow!

I had Win 8 and updated to 8.1. Now all my apps run about 2-3 seconds slower. Double clicking on anything takes about 2-3 seconds to open. I have updated all drivers. Any thoughts on what is different about 8.1 that slows it down? 8.0 was very fast, and I really had no complaints (after I loaded Stardock and got the Start button back, of course).

Mobo: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    Intel i7 950 3.07 GHz
    Award BIOS FH 1/6/2012
    RAM 6GB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Lee,

I haven't noticed the slow down on my computer. If anything it is a bit faster.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    All my processes became CPU hogs, bad upgrade. Eyeball the task manager as you start and run things to see if the load is higher than it ordinarily would be. I see 1-2% CPU use normally when nothing is going on and I was getting 10-11% on 8.1, and it soared from there when something simple was running.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My dh upgraded to Win 8.1 two days ago. Tonight he complained that ever since he upgraded, his tablet is running slow and he's been getting popups. I checked, and he had about 10 different malware-type items -- mainly IE search or music toolbars along with a browser homepage hijack -- that showed the date and time of his Windows 8.1 upgrade as their installation time. I do notice that a lot of his apps seem to have upgraded or reloaded after the 8.1 upgrade, so I suppose one of those items may have brought along some malware that invited its friends.

Incidentally, Windows Defender didn't detect any of them. I'm about to go run MalwareBytes to see if I missed anything.