Thanks

Trouble viewing Devices and Printers

I recently moved my environment to new computer hardware. (If you are interested, see the thread here: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...g-windows-disk)

Overall it went very well. But I have one problem (so far) that I cannot figure out. If you click the button-formerly-known-as-Start and then "Devices and Printers" it will produce a nice graphical display of your printers and other I/O devices. Then you can select the default printer, view queues and properties and so on. Well when I click it a window opens up with the path "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers" displayed at the top as one might expect, but the green progress bar proceeds very slowly across the top and then never ends. Just for curiosity I started it this morning and it is still progressing this evening.

I have tried printing and all of my printers and scanners work. I can also click on their properties in the print dialog box. But that's pretty limiting.

Any ideas what has gone wrong and how I can fix it?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Backspacer,

Have you checked the Device Manager to insure that you don't have any Yellow triangles? It could be a bad/outdated driver causing the problem. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Backspacer (2013-10-29)

Thanks
    Well as it happens, I do have an "Unknown Device" with the yellow warning on it. I have tried to figure out what it is, but unsuccessfully. I have also tried disabling it and uninstalling it, but neither affects the loading of the Devices and Printers screen. And once I reboot it's back. Any suggestion on how to figure out what it is?

Thanks
    Update: I was mistaken about one thing. If I uninstall the Unknown Device it returns after a reboot, but if I disable it, it remains disabled. The Devices and Printers screen still does not load.

Thanks
    See if http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...dor-device-id/
    helpsidentify the unkown device.

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Backspacer (2013-10-29)

Thanks
    That link and the links on the page seem to be about XP and Vista drivers. It, in turn, led me on a far flung search tree that yielded the answer to the Unknown Device problem. It was the ACPI driver which was hard to figure out and hard to find, but it worked.

Unfortunately that Unknown Device appears to have been a red herring as far as fixing the "Devices and Printers" problem. In fact I found and updated a lot of drivers and none of them fixed it. I'm not sure exactly what happens behind the curtain when you click TheButtonFormerlyKnownAsStart then Devices and Printers. Can anyone shed any light on this or how I might go about troubleshooting it? I still get the same endless progress bar across the top and nothing displayed.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Starting Bluetooth Support Service as Automatic works for many people in that situation: Windows 7: device & printer panel does not load?

Bruce

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Backspacer (2013-10-29)

Thanks
    Well I'll be. I Googled until my fingers were raw the other day and got nowhere. I kept starting down the wrong path in the maze, I guess. Yes, the Bluetooth Support Service was disabled and when I started it the Devices and Printers screen *loaded correctly. I now have it on automatic and hopefully will not have this problem again.

*A term I never thought to use.

Thank you! And thanks to RetiredGeek and jwitalka for directing me down a different arm of the maze which resulted in my finding and fixing the Unknown Device problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Spacer,

I'm not sure what the Bluetooth service has to do with anything, but I had a similar lack of "Devices & Printers" a few years ago after disabling it (due to BlackViper recommendation).

Zig

Thanks
    Yeah, I don't know why a service probably never used by most people would have the effect of completely blocking the loading/displaying of all the devices in the system. But MS has gone goofy again and probably will never fix the problem in Windows 7.