New Lounger
    Thanks

printer can't be shared anymore

I have 2 pcs and 2 printers on my Windows 7 homegroup network. All shared well until printer installed on PC 1 -main pc- stopped working.
    After many and various attempts to fix it failed, Something happened and it worked. The problem now is that I can't get it to share.
    When I click on "add a printer" the printer is found but the message says it can't be installed. Any tips on what is wrong ?
    Thankyou.
    Glectic

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Glectic,

You're a little sparse on information, e.g. What make model printer? However, it sounds like a driver problem.

If it were me I would:
    1. Go to the printer manufacture's website and download the appropriate drivers for your printer model and Windows Version.
    2. Uninstall the printer in windows, unplug the printer from the computer.
    3. Reboot.
    4. Install the downloaded drivers and plug in the printer when requested.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Here's another approach: if your printers can be attached to your network (either with ethernet cables or via wifi), set them up as network printers.

I have found that when you set printers up as network printers, rather than installing them on an individual computer and then sharing them with the other computers, there are fewer potential problems with making them available to all computers on the network.

In the 2000 and XP era, printer sharing was very easy, and it always worked. However, sometimes printer sharing is difficult when the printer is connected to a Windows 7 computer. That is the main reason I prefer to put printers directly on the network.