New Lounger
    Thanks

SkyDrive documents revert to old version since upgrade to Win 8.1

Hi everyone,
    Last week I upgraded my Windows 8 system and thought all had gone well.
    Yesterday I went to update a spread sheet I keep in SkyDrive and noticed that it contained old data.
    I closed the document and saw that the last updated date was 16 June 2013. Now I update this spread sheet every week.
    I opened the document again to see if the version control had the latest version, only to be told that there were no other versions.
    If I kept backups of this file, all would be well, but seeing as it is not important, I have never bothered.
    It also does not seem to be just this one document that has gone back in time.
    Is there any other way of recovering files from SkyDrive and has anyone else had a problem with their documents?
    I certainly won't be as trusting of any cloud services in the future.
    Oh and I will be doing my backups tonight.
    Regards

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Hi,

Sorry about your problem. I use SkyDrive regularly, especially for OneNote documents, but occasionally also to allow cooperative editing of Word and Excel documents. I never experienced anything like that. To be honest, I find it very odd that SkyDrive would be so picky that it would change just one document...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Strobey:

Welcome to Windows Secrets Forums!

Since you have put your documents into the cloud, it is possible that a member of your cloud network made the described change to the document. If this happened, you will now have whatever change that person made, including replacing the current version of the document with an older version.

On first thought, this doesn't sound very likely; but it could be what happened. Therefore, I would investigate this possibility.

Also, keep in mind that for the above described reason, a cloud service is not the same as a backup. You should do regular backups to a location or drive which is not part of a cloud service, so that said backups cannot be changed by a member of your cloud network.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It might also be possible that you were not (unless you always only used the web interface to sky drive directly) actually using the cloud version since the 16th of June and were using a local version that stopped being synced with sky drive for whatever reason.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

Rui, unfortunately it is not just the one document.

Thanks for the welcome, mrjimphelps. I am the only person using my documents. As far as backups go, I have been a bit too trusting with the cloud as I felt safe with a version on my machine and then there is the built in versioning on the documents. Nothing really important has been lost but I just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention in case it is an issue with the windows 8.1 upgrade and people need to be made aware.

Good point F.U.N. downtown but I have been able to access these documents from different machines so that is not the case here.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you try and open any of the documents directly on SkyDrive?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I did Rui and they look exactly the same and have the same timestamps as on my local machine.
    Someone from Microsoft is now investigating and it will be interesting to see what they find.
    I will keep you guys posted.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Ok, please do let us know. It's very odd, and I am definitely interested in knowing what happened.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I discovered my documents this morning quite by accident.

When saving a new document to SkyDrive, I decided to see exactly where it was being saved on my hard drive. I noticed a folder called SkyDrive.old under the SkyDrive folder in the path C:\Users\Steven. The latest versions of my documents were in this folder. I ran a comparison of the SkyDrive and SkyDrive.old folders and found that all changes I had made after July had not been copied across. Must have been something in the upgrade that took older versions. Very strange but I am very happy to have solved this and found my files.

Thanks very much for all your advice.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    P.S. Just had a reply from the very helpful guy at Microsoft to say that this is a known issue that they are working on and will be fixed in the next update. I am very impressed with the help I received from Microsoft with this problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Wow, that's very odd. Although support may have been a good help, this is not very trustworthy, behavior wise.

Thanks for updating and I am glad you got your documents back.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, another lesson for us to make sure we have our own backups even when using the cloud.