Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Some Windows 8.1 Things You Should Know (About)

There are some things w/in Windows 8.1 of which you may not be aware but, should be.

1. Bottom-Left Corner... There is now a Windows logo button on the Taskbar. This acts much the same as the Windows key on the keyboard. Hitting it will give the Start screen & one can toggle back & forth w/ it. (Rather than hitting Enter, clicking the Desktop Tile or hitting Win+D to return to Desktop.

2. Rt Clk this same Corner will pop up the "Power Users Menu". This should be a real focal point for you due to value to you of the items listed on it. One of which , now is, Shut Down or Sign Out options (Sign Out, Sleep, Shut Down & Restart)

3. This one is BIG! Rt Clk on Taskbar > Properties. There is now in this windows a (new) Tab called Navigation. Please, look @ the selections & choices available here. You can have the machine boot directly to Desktop. Can have direct things to the ALL Applications screen instead of Start. And you can have the Windows button bring up the ALL Applications whilst on Desktop & the Win key or the Win button will toggle back to Desktop... in effect making so you can go to ALL Apps whist on Desktop, select an application & go back to Desktop w/out having, actually, left Desktop.

4. Remember, you can control any number (now) of Active apps from the "Switcher Bar" @ the Top-Left corner.

If the above is combined w/ the use of the Desktop Toolbar using & navigation Windows 8.1 is very efficient, direct & easy. Rt Clk Taskbar > Toolbars to enable Desktop Toolbar. This, also, means the Desktop icons can be told not to show; no need to cover up pretty wallpapers.

Finally, enable the Links Toolbar. This is found @ the same place as the Desktop Toolbar. Links is the equivalent of the Favorites Bar contents. One can open the Favorites Bar, add to it, close it and then access its web sites from the Taskbar via Links... the browser does not even have to be open first.

Put all of the above together & any perceived need for 3rd Party start stuff is eliminated.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2013-10-28),squire (2013-10-28),t8ntlikly (2013-10-28)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Put all of the above together & any perceived need for 3rd Party start stuff is eliminated.

Drew
    I want a Windows 7-style Start Button and Start Menu. What I want is, for all intents and purposes, what I need. It has ever been thus; it's part of human nature. My preference is to continue to use Windows as a tool to accomplish a number of tasks. All I need from Windows is a way to get to those things I want to do. I have neither need nor desire to relearn how to navigate Windows in order to get to what I really want to accomplish, which is the only need I have for Windows. It is only necessary to teach Windows how to behave once, and all my long-established habits take over from there. No learning curve whatsoever.

There are a number of options available (I use StartIsBack) that allow me to get the klunky metro interface and the Apps I do not use out of my way and get to the programs that I use. Those programs still work in the same way they've always worked. I still want to reach them the same way I've always reached them. That is what I need. That is what I have.

We each have our own reasons for doing the things we do in the way that we do them. For those who find the metro interface useful, handy and pleasant to work with, I'm happy for you. Enjoy! I have no intentions of trying to tell you that my way is better.

For those who find the Windows 7 interface familiar, comfortable and pleasant to work with, I am equally happy for you. There are a number of ways to get that. Enjoy!

We each have our own reasons for doing the things we do in the way that we do them. I see no good reason for trying to promote any one way as best, or any one way as unnecessary.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-10-28)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I found the actual new stuff to be somewhat better but Microsoft is morphing Windows and while the end results might be a beautiful butterfly, the process if downright ugly. Unless something happens to alter the thinking in Redmond the desktop is going away, maybe to be replaced by an Apps desktop if snap continues to morph and the horizontal edges become adjustable as well.
    So to me at the moment, any desktop changes to help return some efficient function without a start menu are transitory, here today, gone tomorrow...Spring of 2015 it looks to be at the moment.

Thanks
    3. This one is BIG! Rt Clk on Taskbar > Properties. There is now in this windows a (new) Tab called Navigation. Please, look @ the selections & choices available here. You can have the machine boot directly to Desktop. Can have direct things to the ALL Applications screen instead of Start. And you can have the Windows button bring up the ALL Applications whilst on Desktop & the Win key or the Win button will toggle back to Desktop... in effect making so you can go to ALL Apps whist on Desktop, select an application & go back to Desktop w/out having, actually, left Desktop.

Drew:

I appreciate the information.

I haven't yet tried Windows 8.1, but I have heard that they have brought back the Start Button.

Being a die-hard Start Button / Start Menu user myself, I am curious as to exactly what they have brought back. Since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable of this stuff, perhaps you can shed some light on it.

Specifically, I want both the Windows 7-style Start Button AND Start Menu. For me, BOTH of these together provide a huge amount of usefulness.

In your opinion, how close does Windows 8.1 come to providing both the Start Button AND the Start Menu, or the equivalent functionality?

Thanks
    The Start Button is not the Win 7 Start Button. It basically does the same thing as the Win key. To get the Win 7 style Start Menu you will have to use one of the replacement apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The Start Button is not the Win 7 Start Button. It basically does the same thing as the Win key. To get the Win 7 style Start Menu you will have to use one of the replacement apps.
    That's what I figured; but not having tried it for myself, I wanted to get the opinion of someone who has. Drew seems so enthusiastic about the subject, I wanted to give him a crack at it.

At any rate, thanks for the information.

Thanks
    Jim,

If you use StartIsBack+ and you have dual screens you will get the Win-7 type Start button on your "Main" screen and the Windows 8.1 "Start Button" on your "secondary" screen. Personally, I think this is a bug but it seems to be just what you are after. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG:

Thanks for the info.

Of course, if you think about it, maybe the two start buttons is an "enhancement", not a "bug". After all, with that, you can easily go into "lala" land (I mean the Metro Interface) anytime you want, just by clicking a button!

I use a single monitor on my Windows 8 computer; I used to have dual monitors, but there's no Windows 8 driver for my dual video card; and while I was debating whether or not to spend the money for a new video card, someone gave me a really big monitor; I therefore went from two small monitors to one big monitor.

I do use two monitors on my Windows 7 laptop; obviously, there's no start button controversy with Windows 7.

Jim

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, it's probably not a bug (unless you said that facetiously) since they are not used for the same purpose. Seems the one place I don't need a start menu is on the second monitor, there I can get by with a simple taskbar extension to hold my running programs when not on screen. Of course when I'm running a fullscreen VM on the second monitor I have two perfectly working start menus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ya, it's probably not a bug (unless you said that facetiously) since they are not used for the same purpose.
    I saw this in a Dilbert cartoon once -- the cartoon character decided that the best way to deal with all of the bugs in the software was to call them "enhancements."

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the useful information. To bring classic start menu back to windows 8.1, I use Start Menu 8. And there are dozens of programs functioning like this. Five tools to bring the Start menu back to Windows 8.1

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 8.1 does not work on my PC

Ripoff M$

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Windows 8.1 does not work on my PC

Ripoff M$
    Did it run Windows 8.0? If so, it is pretty bizarre that it would not run 8.1

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Drew:

I appreciate the information.

I haven't yet tried Windows 8.1, but I have heard that they have brought back the Start Button.

Being a die-hard Start Button / Start Menu user myself, I am curious as to exactly what they have brought back. Since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable of this stuff, perhaps you can shed some light on it.

Specifically, I want both the Windows 7-style Start Button AND Start Menu. For me, BOTH of these together provide a huge amount of usefulness.

In your opinion, how close does Windows 8.1 come to providing both the Start Button AND the Start Menu, or the equivalent functionality?
    Jim,

Sorry to me a bit to see what you have written and reply. Nor was it quick or soon enough to answer you before others tried to answer for me.

Anyway, I will try to answer you, now. Some may not like or agree w/ what I'll say but, I'm used to that.

1. What is being called "Start button" in Windows 8.1 is a bit of a misnomer& a trifle misleading to those hung up on stuff that was pre-Win8. Is it the Windows key placed on the Taskbar. Hitting it will take one back & forth between Desktop & Start (screen). BUT, in 8.1 that can be change such that it takes one to the Applications screen. 8.1 can be set so one can go to Start OR Applications, in effect, w/out, actually, leaving Desktop.

2. I have never seen any need for pre-Win8 stuff in Win8. It is so damn easy to navigate w/out reverting to backwards stuff. And Windows 8.1 does an even better job of it.

3. For people who hate the Start screen or seeing it for a fraction of a second, 8.1 can boot directly to Desktop.

4. But, as far as pondering some supposed need for a pre-Win8 start button that produces a pre-Win8 start menu, I will stand firm that there is no need. To repeat, w/ all that is in the Power Users Menu and enabling the Desktop Toolbar & the Win button or key going to Start or better yet, to Applications using Win 8.1 is a slick, easy, joy.

There is no need or reason to dress Windows 8.1 up in a Windows 7 costume. It is not & and doesn't need to be. As an IT Pro I have to work on pre-Win8 machines & I, certainly, recall using them myself. After using Win8 for 2 yrs & now Windows 8.1 for a few months, I don't enjoy working on pre-Win8 machines & you couldn't pay me to go backwards or use pre-Win8 stuff. It's just so easy, pleasant & efficient using 8.1 as described & as suggested.

I haven't had a client who wasn't impressed w/ 8 or didn't like it or who has trouble using it & I have not recommended old start stuff ofr it to any of them nor have any asked for such things.

My OP was to inform people about cool new things in 8.1 of which they may not, already, be aware. It was not meant in regard to old start stuff. I saw no need for such things in 8.0 and even less in 8.1

So, I guess it doesn't come close to an equivalent to the old stuff no more than a car comes close to being a horse & buggy or an apple comes close to being an orange. 8 is great & doesn't need to use no 8 stuff to make it great.

Sorry, but you asked for my input. Using 8.1 is less trouble, clicks & effort than w/ the old start stuff.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2013-10-29 at 02:32.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    4. But, as far as pondering some supposed need for a pre-Win8 start button that produces a pre-Win8 start menu, I will stand firm that there is no need. To repeat, w/ all that is in the Power Users Menu and enabling the Desktop Toolbar & the Win button or key going to Start or better yet, to Applications using Win 8.1 is a slick, easy, joy.
    Enabling a Desktop Toolbar is no different from installing a Start Menu replacement; you're still finding a way to avoid dipping into tile world for common functions.

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast