New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 what closing lid on laptop does

I just recently upgraded my Dell laptop to Win 8.1. Previously, I had it set so when I closed the lid on my laptop it went to sleep. However, now it shuts down even though the setting selected is still "sleep". Any ideas as to how to fix it?

Thanks
    I can only speak from my own experience. I ALWAYS set the power settings so that closing the lid on my laptop has no effect on anything. I've never had occasion to do that in Windows 8 or 8.1, since I use Windows 8 only on a desktop.

By setting things so that closing the lid does nothing, I never have any problems.

I have always preferred making that the default, so as to prevent undesireable laptop behavior. My thought is that you will sometimes have to close the lid, and on occasion you won't want the computer to do anything when you close the lid.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I used to have issues with power settings in Windows 8. What I tried was to choose a different power plan. Once done, I would go back to the original plan, changed settings here and there, saved it and then choose that plan to be the active plan again. It usually worked.
    Rui
    -------
    R4