2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer.exe problems on Win 7 Home laptop

I use Explorer to do a number of things besides just trying to find a file. I connect Canon cameras via USB and I copy files between systems (I have a large desktop system I use as a file server among other things).

When I hook up a camera, I USUALLY get the pop up on what to do, and usually I just use Windows to download photos from the camera. But if I want to do it a second time, or copy photos to a flash drive, Explorer will hang, and eventually freeze up the laptop I'm working on.

I also have a lot of problems when right clicking in Explorer.

FYI, I am an IT professional, but Explorer.exe has caused me loads of pain over the years! So any help would be greatly appreciated.

The system is fully patched and up to date.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    All those apps add shell extenders which are, often, responsible for the issues and crashes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See Add, Remove, Edit Context Menu items in Windows 7 | 8 for information on managing context menu add-ons.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used shellexview to take a look, and found no surprises. My Seagate Replica software, MS Office and the like. Nothing 'foreign'. Plus keep in mind that my problem is not specific to the context menu, but happens the most when connecting a camera to the laptop. FYI, the drivers are all default Microsoft provided for the various Canon cameras I use. Also, when I want to copy files from one PC to another - in either direction.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried Canon's own software then - drivers, I mean?

I have two Canons and if I am not wrong, they install their own drivers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I sometimes use Canon software but it's overkill for my needs. And even if it worked, I still need to fix the Explorer.exe problem since it's not just about the camera image downloads.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    That still points to a bad shell extension. Remember shell extensions do not always add entries to the context menu. Shell extensions can support autoplay actions too. First, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling the Seagate software. Make sure you have the most current version for Windows 7 that supports your drive. If that does not resolve the issue, then I'd try the Canon software. Drivers supplied as part of the OS are usually very bare bones. Besides, the most current drivers from Canon may fix bugs. Just install the drivers. No need to install any other software offered.

Joe

Thanks
    Perhaps you have a USB problem on the camera, or a bad USB cable, or a USB problem on the computer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, it's not just the camera. Anything involving moving files between computers on my fast LAN, for instance. And an interesting one; Chrome (long known for down and upload problems), frequently crashes when I upload or download. My guess is that the image download is just a small part of the problem.

Replica software has been fairly stable. But now I'm wondering about Google Drive, Sky Drive, and Office 365, all of which have fairly recently added hooks to Explorer. I can readily imagine one or all of these items causing trouble.