5 Star Lounger

ONline Armor question

With all the postings here about CryptoLocker I am thinking of using Online Armor. But, instead of just installing it, I thought I would ask current users first about the following:
    I run W7 SP1, fully patched. I use the default M'soft firewall, run MSSE, and the paid version of Malwarebytes. I also have a router. So, are there any conflicts with these and Online Armor; or anything special I need to do to have all these "play nice together"?

Thanks for any help and tips to make the installation and use of Online Armor go smoothly.

Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Hi Dick,

I have used Online Armor for at least 3 years now. To run Online Armor alongside other malware apps, such as MSE and Malwarebytes, you should exclude them in Online Armor (and you should exclude Online Armor in the other apps). I have run OA with MSE before and they went along fine. Never had it running alongside Malwarebytes.

Online Armor won't interfere with your hardware firewall. If you plan to install OA in a network, there may be other settings that may need tweaking, but we can address that when needed. OA will disable the Windows firewall, since it replaces it and you shouldn't have two software firewalls running simultaneously.

You should beware that the first days using OA will mean more work, as OA needs to learn what exists in your system and what you want to do with that. OA can enforce restrictions on two levels - apps (or components, such as dlls) running and apps accessing the internet (or your network). Since I want OA to provide as much protection as possible, I enforce OA to request permission for both activities. Whenever OA detects a program running or trying to access the internet, it will ask you what to do. You take a look and decide. OA usually provides some info about the executable (easy to say if it is a Windows component or not) and decide. You can also check a box to make sure OA won't ask again about that executable or content (if it changes, because of being updated, though, OA will ask again).

OA has a mode named learning mode, in which no questions are asked and all programs and components are automatically authorized. I use this whenever I am installing new apps or when I am updating Windows, since it saves me the effort of answering multiple requests. Once this ends, I get OA back to normal mode (in case of Windows updates, I do it only after the final Windows reboot). You should never just authorize something just because, as that will defeat the purpose of OA. Thoughtful answering is key to achieve protection. You should especially beware of request permissions when you are not installing software or after a Windows update. These will require a careful decision to make sure you are not authorizing malware. OA sometimes provides useful advice on what to do, based either on its own database, or on feedback from other OA users.

If you need any further help, do let me know.

OA may not be the easiest app, but I do not run any computer without it - currently 4 laptops and one desktop running it at home and all computers at work.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-10-29)