2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stop system shutdown

When my system is idle I shut off my monitor but, when I return, I press the power button before turning on my monitor only to see my system shutting down when I don't want it to. Is there a way to insert an "Are you sure?" message before the power button induced shut down begins?

Wasn't this built in ages back?

Thanks,

Thanks
    Hi norm73, just turn ON the monitor & shake the mouse.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can change what the power button does when you push it. Go to Control Panel | System and Security | Power Options | Change what the power buttons do.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A shutdown when you press the On/Off button (technically, it's no longer really a "power" button because the machine's power doesn't run through it) means two things:

1. You have the button set to do that and
    2. The machine was not in Sleep (Standby) mode when you pressed the button. Pressing the button to wake up the machine works only when the machine is asleep. If the machine's already awake, and the button is so set, it forces a shutdown (great if the keyboard died or the machine has frozen). Generally, to waken the machine, press any key on the keyboard (the CTRL, Shift and ALT keys are best because they don't cause anything much to happen by themselves). If this doesn't work, then the keyboard may not be set to wake up the machine. Look in Device Manager under Power Management for the keyboard to set this.

Also, machines lately tend to show the Sleep/Awake state of the machine with a color change somewhere on the front panel of the machine. One of my HP machines changes the On/Off button from blue to amber when the machine is snoozing; another HP machine changes a big blue-colored bar to amber. Don't press the button if it's Blue.

As noted elsewhere in these responses, it's easy to change what the On/Off button actually does.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems as though I did not make myself clear.

1. I am not concerned with waking from sleep mode.

2. The monitor is off when the button is pressed.

3. I do have the button set to shut down the system. If I set it to do nothing it will solve my problem but then I lose the ability to shut down if the system freezes.

4. I was hoping to get a window when I pressed the button (set to shut down) that would ask if I was sure I wanted to shut down so that when the monitor lit up I would see that window and be able to cancel the shut down process.

Is there a utility I can install that will do this for me?

[Bob Blumenfield: The idea about checking a light is good but pressing the button has become second nature to us, thanks.]
    Last edited by norm73; 2013-11-08 at 13:00. Reason: add a line

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If by "off" you mean you pressed the on/off button on the monitor, there is no way to put up a warning message. The monitor is dead as far as the CPU is concerned, and even if some small part of it is really still running as long as it's plugged into house current (like the CPU, even when it's supposedly off) the monitor knows nothing about what happens with the shutdown button. That goes to the computer, and it has no way to turn the monitor on.

Maybe it's time to break an old habit. Try putting a post-it note over the on/off switch to remind you to think twice before automatically pushing it.
    Last edited by Bob Blumenfeld; 2013-11-08 at 15:11.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One of our two cats would remove the post-it. They're always helping out like that.

Let me explain. When the monitor is off but the system is running (such as when a project was started hours earlier) either my wife or I will want to use the computer so we sit down and press the power button for the computer and for the monitor. If the computer has finished the project, which is usual, the system will start to shut down before the monitor lights up. I want something that will allow us to cancel the shut down command caused by pressing the power button.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, then. For the reasons I outlined in my last post, I don't think this is possible. Good luck finding something that does it.

Thanks
    Norm, you could change the power button to do nothing, then add a Shutdown shortcut to the desktop to accomplish the shutdown.

Right click an empty spot on the desktop and select New, Shortcut

Copy and Paste the following in the Window that pops up:

Shutdown:

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

Restart:

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00

The only difference in the 2 commands is the character in red.

Click Next and Name the shortcuts Shutdown and Restart. Real original, huh!

Click Finish. Right click and choose properties and change icon to select a nicer icon than the default.

Log Off:

C:\Windows\System32\logoff.exe

I hope these suggestions help with your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Norm

I think you indeed should consider changing the routine order to power up your system. At least I've been taught from the very beginning of my IT career (20+ yrs) to power up first all the peripherals such as the monitor, printer and whatnot - and only lastly the computer itself.

The reasoning goes (or at least used to go) that, as the power-up cycle for each of the devices causes a power surge on your electrics grid, it's best to protect the most sensitive - and longest part of the sequence from unnecessary disturbances by having all the others already running. Well, most of this may be obsolete by now since the modern PSUs can protect the main system pretty nicely, but it's still not a bad practice to maintain - and in your case it might solve even the problem itself.

Or, from another point - if the OS provided power button solutions are not desirable, maybe there's something in the BIOS? To my knowing many BIOSes have a way to configure whether you'll shutdown immediately or only after pressing the button for a while (i.e. like 4 seconds).

Cheers --