Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks

Happy Thanksgivakku to everyone

Addenum
    I was able to download the full install of the free version from softpedia.
    The macrium site does not seem to admit to there being a free version from inside the site. A google will lead to a page with a dl link for the downloader/installer but has a MD5 hash for the full installer. Which matched BTW.

I am going to try the new PE (WAIK) recovery disk this week end....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post

Can we backup a bit here (no pun unintended) to the idea of booting the image in Win7 ?

I have a W7 Home Premium computer over due for an imaging (I use Macrium Reflect ).
    Its my girl friend's game computer and not knowing how to backup the game state I do an image,once in a great while I admit. It would be nice to know if the image was intact enough to boot.
    Is this a feature native to W7 ? Are we talking a virtual drive? I guess that would be OK to.

If I was really afraid of losing functionality for a period I would go with lanshark's suggestion of removable drive. Running A and saving image to second partition of B could the image be restored to the first partition of B? If so A could be removed and stored someplace safe and B tested. A now would be fully functional with no chance of a nonworking restore. Just my 2¢

Windows 7 can only boot from .vhd files, which are created by the native Windows 7 imaging app. Acronis TI can convert from its own format to .vhd. It seems that the option is also available with Macrium, but with paid versions: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseA...x?Keywords=VHD
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

wavy (2013-11-28)

Thanks
    ruirib

Thanks sooo much. I have been wanting to try to make a virtual drive out of my 11 year old XP install but never got around to it because .... well maybe a bit lazy, could it be?? This makes it look easy. I actually have installed it already. And no I did not need a paid version. Thanks again for the link. I will post back when/if I do this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome .

Please be aware that there is a difference between booting from a .vhd disk on the same hardware where the image was created, or run the .vhd in a VM. The hardware will be seen as different by the OS in each case, so the VM scenario may fail without special restore procedures.

I tried using a .vhd with Windows Virtual PC and it worked great. It was an old XP image, from 2009, running on the same hardware. Worked great. Trying to load the image elsewhere failed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Ohhhh now I am all confused again. What is the "difference between booting from a .vhd disk on the same hardware where the image was created, or run the .vhd in a VM." I understand a VM (remember I am using XP) the former I find confusing.
    PS I just did a conversion!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Booting from a .vhd doesn't mean you are running inside a VM. Windows 7 and 8 can just treat a virtual disk (a .vhd file - can be .vhx in Windows 8) as if it was a physical disk and boot from it, but there is no VM software involved - no Virtual PC, VMWare or VirtualBox. It's just Windows treating the .vhd file as a "real" disk.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

wavy (2013-11-29)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, after reviewing the process, it becomes evident why it's only good for the system it originated on or identical system deployment; it still acts like a dual boot system.
    I've had good luck (not perfekt) with Paragon's free GoVirtual as far as converting a current XP install to VM (either VirtualPC (if under 50 Gigs), V-Box, or VMWare Player compatible). That way I can run it simultaneously on any system with a compatible host. With a fed exceptions, like if one needs some non-virtual hardware support or wants to preserve a set of old games that won't play virtually, it seems the much more versatile mode of operation, especially for deployment to systems that no longer have any driver support for XP.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

wavy (2013-11-29)

Thanks
    OK
    NOGO 1 attempt no RTFM involved
    W7 is working no problem. EasyBCD to boot vhd file no love
    But I did finally put a legit W7 install on the box. I think (jumping threads here) WAIK and Macrium boot disk next before I do some real damage.
    Oh and maybe some Tday leftovers

Thanks
    I tried to load the vhd into VirtualBox. No luck! Stops @ apf440. loading. I made an image with Vhd2disk (from sysinternals). That stopped at the same spot In VirtualBox as well. (recovery console did run!). I did not yet try a direct boot of that. There was a note on the Macrium site that if an image was mounted or attached on the same hardware it was created from the disk ID would be changed and a direct boot would not work. I did explore the Macrium image via Macrium maybe that was the problem??

And maybe time to move this to a different part of the Lounge???

Administrator
    Thanks
    Maybe start a new thread to discuss this specific issue.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooksNYC
    "Physical technical expertise" is definitely lacking.Brooks
    Boy, do I sympathise with that!
    The things that I USED to be able to do, but can't anymore.

Neuropathy in my hands makes handling all those teeny-tiny itsy-bitsy screws nigh on impossible.

Now I just wish there was a way to PERMANENTLY disable the touch-pad on this Lappy-top.
    Maybe when the warranty expires, I'll have someone with good manual dexterity just disconnect
    the little ribbon cable going to it.

Thanks Brooks for starting this thread.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lostwages View Post

Now I just wish there was a way to PERMANENTLY disable the touch-pad on this Lappy-top.
    Maybe when the warranty expires, I'll have someone with good manual dexterity just disconnect
    the little ribbon cable going to it.
    Disable it from device manager and it won't bother you again. No hardware messed with, but it won't work if it is disabled... and easy to enable back when you want to.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanks Rui,
    Tried that - didn't work.
    When I re-booted, Windoze installed a standard PS2 mouse driver for it with disable grayed out.

If it annoys me too much, I'll start a new forum thread on it.
    Didn't mean to thread-drift, just wanted to let Brooks know he wasn't alone in being "Technical physical expertise" challenged.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you want, Rich, you can start a thread on that specific issue.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I am late reading this but be aware mounting an image with the drive it was imaged on connected may cause Windows to chagne the disk ID so that 2 disks do not have the same ID. I am admittedly a bit confused on the consequences of this . BTW does this board have a spell checker?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast