Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Question Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro

Just got an email from malwarebytes

"

This is like finding a full-size candy bar at the bottom of your Halloween booty sack! For a limited time only, we're offering you the world's best defense against scary malware for only $19.95.That's for life (for life *and* death for the Undead customers).

If you've been thinking about upgrading to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, this is your chance. For just shy of 20 bones ($19.95), you get real-time protection against worms, Trojans, rootkits, and other evil code. And if you already have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, it makes an excellent gift for friends and family. Drop one in the bag before it's too late.
    "

Has any one any opinion about this. I have been pondering the free versions of Bitdefender, Adaware and avg(CURRENT) as live AV,

Thanks
    A lifetime license to Malwarebytes Pro for $20 sounds too good to be true.

Are you sure about the authenticity of the email?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Google search; several retailers offer single user perpetual license for $19-$20.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Multiple vendors offer great Halloween deals (upgraded my family license of True Image - 3 computers - for 16 euros). Seems like a good deal to me.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I also got mine for that price some time ago....

If you trust the source of the email offer then I would go for it.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Seems like the regular lifetime price is $25.
    gotta look closer.......

Thanks
    Well, it's a pretty good program, (Malware Bytes) but there are whole categories of junk, like tracking cookies that it never sees.

DON'T trust your entire computer's security to any one (1) program. It takes the proper Package of security software to fully protect a PC.
    And .... NEVER run two AV programs together. They can fight with one another and either miss some bad stuff or give you false positives. I advise AVG 2014 Free, for good AV protection. Did I mention, it's FREE and in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Get the proper one for your version of Windows.

Oh, to get those nasty little tracking cookies, I advise "Super Anti Spyware". I use the FREE version and it does a great job.
    It DOES get things that other programs miss.

Good Luck and Happy Computing!

The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-11-02 at 17:59.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Tracking cookies don't really bother me, if they do I have other tools for that:Better Privacy and Cookies Manager. I am actually using AVG14 now (and for some time w/ previous ver). The last ver seemed to slow things down a bit, I am uncertain about 14.
    I was looking at the free versions of Bitdefender and Adaware10.5 as a replacement. Malwarebytes would be a suplimental, it does not have a rep as a good realtime agent. I will try Super Anti Spyware tonight.

Thanks

Thanks
    Bitdefender and AdAware have both gone downhill over the last couple of years IMO. I am not alone in this assessment. Both have been gone from my PC for quite some time now and good riddance.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Years ago, I used AdAware because it was free, and then, for about six months they posted NO updates and answered NO emails.
    At that time, I and many other old AdAware users, dumped their software and never looked back. What they are doing today, I don't know, nor do I care.

There are too many GOOD programs out there, like AVG 2014 FREE, that do a great job, to worry about something that has let me down.

HI Medico!

Doc

Thanks
    I can understand those feelings, when something lets me down I hesitate to try it again. I can only say I take it with a grain of salt that PCMag (or should I say Pcmag.com) says Adaware10.5 is their Editors Choice along side AVG13 (May 2013). The point is made that it is considered greatly improved over ver 10. As it is I am not disliking AVG 2014 FREE besides the GUI and will likely remain with it for the time being.

Now on to Firewalls. Hips seems to be a recommended accompaniment to a complete security suite, some Firewalls seem to have this feature to some degree but it is hard to tell. For many years I used Zonealarm but for some reason that has left me I now using windows firewall(on XP). I am thinking of going back, if I do do I need a hips?

Regards,
    David

Thanks
    The MS firewall included in Win 7 and Win 8 is much better than the firewall included in XP. I use it and do not even think of any other firewall.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I can understand those feelings, when something lets me down I hesitate to try it again. I can only say I take it with a grain of salt that PCMag (or should I say Pcmag.com) says Adaware10.5 is their Editors Choice along side AVG13 (May 2013). The point is made that it is considered greatly improved over ver 10. As it is I am not disliking AVG 2014 FREE besides the GUI and will likely remain with it for the time being.

Now on to Firewalls. Hips seems to be a recommended accompaniment to a complete security suite, some Firewalls seem to have this feature to some degree but it is hard to tell. For many years I used Zonealarm but for some reason that has left me I now using windows firewall(on XP). I am thinking of going back, if I do do I need a hips?

Regards,
    David
    Whether you need a HIPS or not, that is up to you to decide. If you used ZoneAlarm, then you know there is no comparison between the Windows firewall (which is a simple network firewall) and a product like ZoneAlarm, that whitelists not only what can access the internet, but also what is allowed to run in your computer. Not sure if you read the Windows Secrets Newsletter article on CrytoLocker or the ensuing Lounge thread. If you did, probably you have read that a HIPS would be an effective means of preventing the infection, something that no Windows firewall or most regular AVs would do. HIPS have the additional advantage of protecting you against zero day threats, for which, again, no Windows firewall or regular AVs provide protection.

I have been using 3rd party HIPS since 2000/2001 - actually long before Windows had anything that resembled a firewall. I won't ever run any computer for which I have the responsibility without a HIPS. My current HIPS is Emsisoft's Online Armor.

A HIPS is not a solution without its caveats. It requires an initial configuration effort and require that a user pays attention to what it allows and it won't allow, but in my opinion, if you want the best protection you can have in a Windows OS, then you will have to go with a HIPS.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    The MS firewall included in Win 7 and Win 8 is much better than the firewall included in XP. I use it and do not even think of any other firewall.
    Ditto!

ZA was a mess years ago, and I can't believe it's any better now. It might work for a total GEEK, maybe, but for the average computer user, it would drive them up a wall, that is if they could ever figure out how to use it, in the first place.

Behind a hardware firewall, in a router, and the Windows firewall, is more than sufficient for the Home PC user.
    I think all this paranoia about getting hacked is just that.....complete paranoia!
    What would any self respecting hacker want from your computer anyway?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    Ditto!

ZA was a mess years ago, and I can't believe it's any better now. It might work for a total GEEK, maybe, but for the average computer user, it would drive them up a wall, that is if they could ever figure out how to use it, in the first place.

Behind a hardware firewall, in a router, and the Windows firewall, is more than sufficient for the Home PC user.
    I think all this paranoia about getting hacked is just that.....complete paranoia!
    What would any self respecting hacker want from your computer anyway?

You should tell that to the people who got their files held in ransom by CryptoLocker. I am sure they would understand you completely.

ZoneAlarm works fine for a normal person. My father in-law has been running ZoneAlarm Extreme Security for years, with no issues at all and he doesn't understand a bit about computers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast