4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to find 8.1 at the Windows App Store

This would be comical if it wasn't so annoying. We bought a couple of Windows 8 Pro on DVD for $39 each from Staples when it was first released. At the price it seemed like a good idea, especially since we had a couple of spare SSDs on which to install the new OS. So, my GF and i both spent a morning here and an afternoon there trying to get acquainted with Win 8. We both disliked it, mainly because we couldn't find our way around. So, we went back to using Win 7 while waiting (and hoping) for Win 8 to become more user-friendly.

This morning i went to the Windows Store where the 8.1 Upgrade is supposed to be prominently featured, but i can't see it. Following Windows Secrets advice i went back to the desktop and installed a bunch of app updates and restarted the PC, at which time it said "installing update 1 of 4 ..." After restarting i checked the Windows Store again - no 8.1 visible. Got frustrated trying to find Control Panel so i could check if Windows Updates is correctly enabled so restarted the PC again. And again, during the shutdown process the message appeared again " installing update 1 of X ... ". After this second restart i returned once more to the Windows Store and still can't see an 8.1 Upgrade/Update option.

So, what i need is a step-by-step from the Lounge resident geniuses. How do i find Control Panel? How do i make sure Windows is up to date enough for me to get the 8.1 upgrade? What step have i missed? Should we just stick with Win 7 forever? Should i wipe the drive and reinstall Win 98 SE?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try this (which apparently applies to all editions, not just RT): The Sure-Fire Method to Locate the Windows 8.1 Upgrade in the Windows Store App

The Win+X Quick Link menu provides easy access to Control Panel.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-10-30 at 15:50.

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    There are a couple of pre-requisites before the store will show up. Go to WU and see if there are any updates listed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, quick replies - thanks! Will go try those suggestions now and report back in a while.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, got it done .... after jumping through more hoops than a circus pony! Went back to Windows Update and, although it stated that Updates were done this morning, it also said there were 48 Updates to install now {groan}. Well, what else could one expect? So, i clicked on OK and headed for the kitchen to open a bottle of Gabbiano. Twenty minutes and several sips later the Updates were done and i headed once more to the Windows Store, where, lo and behold, there it was - a huge Windows 8.1 tile giving me the old come hither look. Easily seduced, i clicked to begin. Another twenty-eight minutes and several restarts later it told me, like a hot lover in my bedroom, "i'll just go and get ready" .... so of course i'm now thinkin' - Uh-oh, we're gonna need MORE WINE !!

Thanks
    Marvin, Glad my suggestion worked. Don't drink too much wine, you won't be able to enjoy Win 8.1 as much if you can't see the keyboard,
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ahh, the extra glass of wine makes me more nostalgic for Win 98 ....

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried "sure fire" method... nothing (neither via IE-Metro nor "run" command line. System is Win 8 Pro 64 bit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_1 View Post
    Tried "sure fire" method... nothing (neither via IE-Metro nor "run" command line. System is Win 8 Pro 64 bit.
    Did you copy and paste "ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade", without any spaces?

Bruce

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_1 View Post
    Duncan, don't forget to do Windows Updates before going to the Windows Store. i had to do 48 Updates + a couple of Restarts (because i've hardly used Win 8 during the past year). After that, i went to Windows Store and the 8.1 Upgrade/Update was shown very prominently. Good luck!