Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Solitaire in Win 8

I know it sounds trivial, and compared with most of the problems that are posted it is, but my wife's new laptop came with Win 8, and without Solitaire, and to her that is not a trivial matter. Since I am her tech support, and am unencumbered by any knowledge of this OS, I am expected to come up with the answer. So I found that there is a ridiculously gaudy version in the App Store, tried to install it, but at the very first screen it says, "This app will have access to your picture folder." Solitaire??? Access to our family photos!? Have they gone stark staring mad? Or is there a stronger version of pot being grown in the hills around Redmond? That would mean that MS has access to them, and everybody now knows that the men in dark glasses have access to MS. And most people know, or ought to know, that the lovely people at the NSA are building a new facial recognition database, they've only got 80 million faces, names, and addresses so far and they want a whole lot more. In fact I'm sure they'd like everyone to be included. Well call me old fashioned, but I don't intend to be included in any facial recognition database, nor any social media database, and I won't be any time soon.

So I found instructions on How-to Geek to enable the Win 7 version to run on Win 8. There a tiny bit of hacking with a hex editor, no big deal. All I have to do is find this sting: 7D 04 83 65 FC 00 33 C0 83 7D FC 01 0F 94 C0, and change the 7D to something else, forget now. So I searched for the string, it doesn't exist. I registered with How-to Geeks to ask a question in their forum, "Wrong password" is all I get using the password that I have just registered. So I'm wondering if anyone else has managed to get the old version working in Win 8?
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2013-10-30 at 16:09.

Thanks
    Why not go to the store and grab the MS Solitaire collection. This has 5 different Solitaire games.

Solitaire Collection.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The Solitaire Collection can be downloaded and installed without agreeing to anything, as I recall. It's been awhile, but I have the Microsoft Solitaire Collection.

Don't use a microsoft account to visit the Store. Use a local account. Find the Solitair Collection and select it for download. That's where you'll be asked for the microsoft account login, and asked to accept terms and conditions. Once it is installed, it will ask for a ms account login to play, but you can just cancel that, select your game and start playing. If you're not logged into a ms account, there's no sharing going on.

I just tried Minesweeper to check, and that worked. Go to the Store using a local account, find your game and select it, use the ms account to login and download. Once installed, the game can be played without the MS login, and without sharing.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-10-30 at 17:09.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    ...at the very first screen it says, "This app will have access to your picture folder." Solitaire??? Access to our family photos!? Have they gone stark staring mad? Or is there a stronger version of pot being grown in the hills around Redmond? That would mean that MS has access to them, and everybody now knows that the men in dark glasses have access to MS. And most people know, or ought to know, that the lovely people at the NSA are building a new facial recognition database, they've only got 80 million faces, names, and addresses so far and they want a whole lot more. In fact I'm sure they'd like everyone to be included. Well call me old fashioned, but I don't intend to be included in any facial recognition database, nor any social media database, and I won't be any time soon.
    Excellent point.

I firmly believe that all of the free stuff that we are constantly offered is not actually the product; it is the bait. WE are the product. The fact that it's free and nice makes us want to use it. But we need to realize that the whole point is to encourage us to put as much of our personal information as possible into their system, so that they can harvest, package, and sell our information.

Facebook comes to mind. It is shocking how much personal information most people put on Facebook. I use Facebook, but I try to minimize the amount of personal info that I put.

I believe that with the Solitaire version you found in the App store, you have figured out what Microsoft (and whoever else) gets out of the deal -- access to your pictures.

I wonder what would happen if you stored nothing in your picture folder? Would the software look elsewhere for your pictures? Or would you simply have thwarted Microsoft?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I wonder what would happen if you stored nothing in your picture folder? Would the software look elsewhere for your pictures? Or would you simply have thwarted Microsoft?
    As long as you have no other folder on your system named "Pictures", %Pictures% won't retrieve anything other than the default folders. I don't use the default folders. I have a partition named "Pictures", but all the folders and subfolders in that partition have other names, and the partition name is not picked up by %Pictures%.

I also have a Music partition, and Media Player has my music files cataloged, but I don't consider that to be particularly sensitive or useful to anyone.

Same thing with %my video%, it only retrieves folders with that name. Interestingly enough, %video% launches a video editing program of mine.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-10-30 at 17:45.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    If you wish to access your game history, etc, you might need to use your MS account. I am also unsure if the Daily challenges are available from a local account. I use the Solitaire Collection (I enjoy Free Cell) and the Mahjong game. These are a couple of the very few Win 8 Style apps I do use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Just gone into Solitaire and it says you can now access daily challenges without logging into Xbox. If you're on a local account your game history is still kept. Now I've gone the Outlook way, I've still got the history, but with others bits added (I think - it's not altogether clear).

Thanks
    Thanks for clearing that up. I do not use a local account so was unsure if these features were available with one.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am feeling a bit like Alice in Wonderland. "Microsoft accounts", "local accounts", "you can now access daily challenges without logging into Xbox", "Daily challenges are available from a local account", "access your game history". What on earth has all this to do with playing Solitaire?!? Who needs a game history with Solitaire?

Thanks for your input bbearren, you said, "I have a partition named "Pictures", but all the folders and subfolders in that partition have other names, and the partition name is not picked up by %Pictures%." But then you add, "Same thing with %my video%, it only retrieves folders with that name. Interestingly enough, %video% launches a video editing program of mine." Interestingly enough? When something interesting happens unexpectedly I begin to wonder what is going on, and why, and what else might be happening that I haven't noticed?

I heard a very interesting discussion on the BBC World Service, an IT professor in the UK being interviewed about privacy on the Web. He, the professor, said that he was a very private person who had never had taken part in any form of social networking, ever. He had asked a representative from Facebook how many individuals they could identify from their facial recognition database. The Facebook man said flippantly, "Pretty much everyone." The prof then asked, "Could you find me?" It took ten minutes, and when asked how they had managed to trace him he was told that he had attended his nephew's birthday party, a group photo had been posted, and every face in the group had been traced and added to the database. I don't find that interesting I find it creepy.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is madness? Come to think of I have been getting some queer looks lately, I thought it was because I was the only person in town who wasn't pacing around talking to a smart phone.

I'll try the App Store again, I even hate the name App Store. Yes, I must be the odd one out.

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2013-10-31 at 13:35.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Solitaire can allow you to use your own pictures to create a theme for the game. If you choose to do so, it will access your pictures, if you choose not to do so, your pictures won't be touched.

I think the notifications offered by apps in modern platforms (Windows 8, in this case, but the same happens with Windows Phone), add additional transparency. Before these modern platforms, any app could access whatever it pleased without any need for users to agree to such access. It's paradoxical, IMO, that the added transparency is pointed out as some devilish big brother scheme instead of what it actually is - additional transparency.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I heard a very interesting discussion on the BBC World Service, an IT professor in the UK being interviewed about privacy on the Web. He, the professor, said that he was a very private person who had never had taken part in any form of social networking, ever. He had asked a representative from Facebook how many individuals they could identify from their facial recognition database. The Facebook man said flippantly, "Pretty much everyone." The prof then asked, "Could you find me?" It took ten minutes, and when asked how they had managed to trace him he was told that he had attended his nephew's birthday party, a group photo had been posted, and every face in the group had been traced and added to the database. I don't find that interesting I find it creepy.
    David, I agree with you 100%.

Literally everywhere you go and everything you do has one or more ways of tracking and monitoring you, or perhaps controlling your life in some way.

I remember back in the 90s, when Bill Clinton opened GPS up to the general public. For a long time, I thought that he was perhaps paying someone back for a favor they did for him; recently, however, I have come to believe that the real purpose was to be able to track everyone everywhere. The reason I believe this is that literally every electronic device has GPS functionality. Certainly all cell phones do (even non-smartphones), and it is impossible to totally disable that functionality.

Years ago, IBM advertised a "smart house" with air conditioning and other things that could be controlled via the internet. All home improvement stores now sell thermostats and hot water heaters which can be controlled remotely. Some of that is marketed as a way that we can save energy, but I believe that the real purpose is so that the government can control that aspect of our lives.

We now have smart cars, which can do some driving themselves, without the driver doing anything. Lately there have been efforts to hack these cars and control them remotely. Imagine what would happen if someone hacked your smartphone, created a mobile hotspot, and then hacked your car via the mobile hotspot. They could wreck your car while you were driving along on the freeway in heavy traffic. Someone in the government may try to do that, if you were the political enemy of those currently in power.

By the way, you're not the odd one out. Lots of us feel the same way.

Check out this website for further info: https://www.schneier.com/

Jim

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Come on ruirib, please, we're talking about Solitaire. It's been around since Win 3 if I remember rightly, it didn't have the ability to access anything; you played, you lost, or sometimes won. End of story. If people are vain enough to want their pictures on the cards let them buy the all new, bells and whistles games, let them hand over their Pictures folder to whomsoever wants to peer through it. But what about the rest of us who want to play yee olde Solitaire? Surely MS could have left it there in the install disk.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Come on ruirib, please, we're talking about Solitaire. It's been around since Win 3 if I remember rightly, it didn't have the ability to access anything; you played, you lost, or sometimes won. End of story. If people are vain enough to want their pictures on the cards let them buy the all new, bells and whistles games, let them hand over their Pictures folder to whomsoever wants to peer through it. But what about the rest of us who want to play yee olde Solitaire? Surely MS could have left it there in the install disk.

David
    You realize the pictures can be whatever people want, not necessarily of themselves and that the pictures will probably be accessed only through a file browser that the user will initiate? I am sorry, I can't see what is wrong with that.

Even if you personally don't like it, surely some people will. I have long realized that my preferences are usually different from most other people, and I don't really object to that. If I like to customize some apps to my liking, I understand that some others will like to customize other apps to their liking. I don't see any wrong in that, and I don't see the need to see big brother lurking when you play Solitaire (which I don't, by the way, I rarely play games and when I do is with my son on one of the gaming consoles).

Seriously, if MS had any interest in any user's pictures, they really wouldn't need anyone start playing Solitaire to access them, would they?

As to leaving options in the install disk, there are no install disks. You download the app from the Store, as you know.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    David, you can just play Solitaire using the new MS Solitaire Collection if you wish. You do not have to sign in using a MS account. If you wish to keep a record of your wins you can. These are just features of the new game. If you wish to just play to try to win, go for it. That's how I use Free Cell. The only game I have been doing the daily challenges on is Mahjong. I just play the Solitaire game.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You realize the pictures can be whatever people want, not necessarily of themselves and that the pictures will probably be accessed only through a file browser that the user will initiate? I am sorry, I can't see what is wrong with that.

Even if you personally don't like it, surely some people will. I have long realized that my preferences are usually different from most other people, and I don't really object to that. If I like to customize some apps to my liking, I understand that some others will like to customize other apps to their liking. I don't see any wrong in that, and I don't see the need to see big brother lurking when you play Solitaire (which I don't, by the way, I rarely play games and when I do is with my son on one of the gaming consoles).

Seriously, if MS had any interest in any user's pictures, they really wouldn't need anyone start playing Solitaire to access them, would they?

As to leaving options in the install disk, there are no install disks. You download the app from the Store, as you know.
    Many pictures these days have the GPS coordinates stored in the picture. Someone with the right software can see where you were when you took the picture.

That fact would give certain people an interest in getting my pictures. That's why I wouldn't want to agree to let Solitaire have access to my pictures folder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast