Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 10 doesn't store login details

I am using Win 8 and IE10. I want IE to remember login details, user name and password. I have tried Tools > Options > Content > Settings > Use auto complete for passwords etc. is ticked. Doesn't happen. Any suggestions?

Thanks

David

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try turning it off and back on.

You could also try Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Reset (button).

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Joe. Turning off and on again didn't cut it, so I went with the Advanced > Reset. Windows had to be re-started. Did that, now it doesn't recognize the Windows login password!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It isn't a complex password, nor one that I could forget, now I have a real problem.

David

Thanks
    IE11 behaved similar for me, but after a few days of browsing and logging in to various sites it "seems" to have learned...and I've tried just about everything too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    If you can't login to Windows 8, see if this helps:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-8.htm

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Further to my last...as they used to say. I have been on to Asus, aparently the only solution is to restore the machine to factory default. Fortunately I only bought the laptop a week ago and was still struggling with Win 8 so not much has been installed yet. But I leave California for England in 4 days, and what reason is there to believe that it won't happen again? Maybe I should have said "unfortunately I bought it a few days ago." I'd better get started,

David

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I forgot to say thank you Jerry. Yes, there was an option to reset the password, seemed too good to be true, which it was. The next screen was, "This can only be done if you have a reset disk." Needless to say there was no prompt to made a password reset disk when I was setting up Win 8. I'll make one this time! I hadn't made an image because as I said I haven't got much installed yet, but now I won't feel safe leaving the house without toting along an external drive and an image to restore. And this is progress?

David

Thanks
    David,

After getting things set up, create an Image using a good third party Imaging app before you start playing with the OS. In this way you can get back to where you started in about 10 minutes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Did you try the following advanced procedure from that article?

1. Access Advanced Startup Options. In Windows 8, all of the important diagnostic and repair options available to you can be found on the Advanced Startup Options (ASO) menu.

Important: There are six ways to access the ASO menu, all described in the link above, but some are only available if you can already get into Windows 8, which you can't do since you don't know the password. I recommend following Method 4, which requires that you have a Windows 8 setup disc or flash drive, or Method 5, which requires that you have, or create, a Windows 8 Recovery Drive. Method 6 works too, if your computer supports it.

2. Touch or click on Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, and finally Command Prompt.

3. Now that Command Prompt is open, type the following command:
    4. copy c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe c:\
    ...and then press Enter. You should see a 1 file(s) copied confirmation.

5. Next, type this command, again followed by Enter:
    6. copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
    Answer with Y or Yes to question about theoverwrite of the utilman.exe file. You should now see another file copy confirmation.

7. Remove any flash drives or discs that you may have booted from in Step 1 and then restart your computer.

8. Once the Windows 8 logon screen is available, click the Ease of Access icon at the bottom-left corner of the screen. Command Prompt should now open.

What?! Command Prompt? That's right! The changes you made in Step 3 & 4 above replaced the Ease of Access tools with Command Prompt (don't worry, you'll reverse these changes in Step 11). Now that you have access to a command line, you can reset your Windows 8 password.

9. Next you need to execute the net user command as shown below, replacingmyusername with your user name, and mynewpassword with the password you'd like to begin using:
    10. net user myusername mynewpassword
    For example, on my computer, I would execute the command like this:
    net user "Tim Fisher" a@rdvarksar3skarY
    Note: You only need to use double quotes around your username if it happens to have a space in it.

Tip: If you get a The user name could not be found message, execute net user to see the list of Windows 8 users on the computer for reference and then try again with a valid username. A System error 8646 / The system is not authoritative for the specified account...message indicates that you're using a Microsoft account to login to Windows 8, not a local account. See the Important call-out in the introduction at the top of this page for more on that.

11. Close Command Prompt.

12. Login with the new password you set in Step 7!

13. Now that your Windows 8 password has been reset and you're back in, either create a Windows 8 password reset disk or switch your local account to a Microsoft account. No matter which you choose, you'll finally have legitimate, and much easier to use, Windows 8 password reset options.

14. Finally, you should reverse the hack that makes this password reset trick work in Windows 8. To do that, repeat Steps 1 & 2 above.

Once Command Prompt is open again, execute this command:
    15. copy c:\utilman.exe c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
    Confirm the overwriting by answering Yes and then restart your computer.

Note: While there's no requirement that you reverse these changes, it would be irresponsible of me to suggest that you don't. What if you need access to Ease of Accessfrom the logon screen someday? Also, please know undoing these changes won't undo your password change so don't worry about that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I normally do make images, but not until I've got things running the way I want them. With this Win 8 machine it looks like I shouldn't have waited!

Ironically I only bought this machine because I tried to upgrade an HP laptop from XP to Win 7. I bought recovery disks from HP, after wiping out XP and going through the whole process it ended with "Recovery failed." HP has not been able to come up with a solution. But wait, wait, I had made an image of XP using Easus Todo Backup. So all I had to do was restore the image, right? Wrong, "Cannot restore the image..." was the message. Easus support hasn't found a solution either. So the HP is a paper-weight. Since we are leaving for England and didn't have time to mess around I bought this Asus. Trouble is I won't trust it again, ever. Trust is like virginity, you only lose it once.

David

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank jwitalka for that very explicit answer. I have printed it out, it's a keeper! It seems to me that there is something very far wrong with my copy of Win 8, or the machine. Before seeing your response I had already launched into the restore to factory default. There were two options, Remove your files and reset, or Wipe the disk and reset (or words to that effect). I chose the first option. The reset seemed to work, set up everything again. Things were looking good, until a pop-up window appeared, Asus wanted to install "important updates". Well who am I to judge these things, I agreed. The machine re-booted, and I was locked out again.

So once again it was F9, reset, I chose the wipe. Right now it's churning away, 90 minutes, 31%!!!! I've been looking at the return policy, and it's becoming more attractive by the hour!

I doubt that I can get a replacement from Amazon, and get it set up before I leave on Tuesday, but if I can get it running, and keep it running for 10 days it'll be winging its way back on my return.

David

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have come full circle, now I know how Vasco de Gama felt when he got back. After TWO resets to factory default, IE 10 does not remember login details. And I can't get the Favorites bar! Unbelievable! Now if only I could find the Red Queen, I'm definitely in Wonderland so she must be somewhere around here, she'd have a few heads lopped off. Can anyone tell me how to get the Favorites bar???

My head is spinning

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    For the Favorites bar, right click in a blank spot in the title area of IE and click on "Favorites Bar".

Joe

Thanks
    Sometimes the Favorites Bar is shrunk to a small rectangle on the right side of the Tile Bar. If it is, right click on a blank spot in the tile bar and make sure "Lock the toolbars" is not checked. Then left drag the shrunken Favorites down to a new row.

Jerry

Thanks
    David,

I am unsure if you fixed your original problem, but I use a Password Manager in my case. I feel it is more secure than the IE PW manager. In my case I use LastPass for this chore. This allows me to just remember one master PW to access my Last Pass vault. Check it out.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast