Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Unknown New Update Message Box

Hi Loungers,

For the past few weeks, I've been getting a new update message box appearing in the lower right corner of my Windows 7 SP1 desktop screen. It has a gray header Update Message.JPGand tells me that one or other of my programs (i.e., Audacity, Skype) needs to be updated. Download Message2.JPG

I can't find it listed in Programs and the message didn't used to appear.

Does anyone know what this is and if it is okay or something that should not be happening? I am wondering because the Audacity software it asks me to update several times is already updated.

Thanks for any help. Realize I could be worried for no reason, but know you will know!!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The one about Skype looks as though it is from some third part software. Do you have Secunia PSI running?

Joe

Thanks
    I'm more concerned about your Audacity download manager.
    If you don't actually need it, uninstall it, or at least disable it from starting on it's own.
    Especially if it is asking you to download or update software you don't have or want.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The clue is "File.org" which appears twice in your second screen shot (and probably in the settings cog icon of your first screen shot).

Look for and uninstall "File Type Assistant": The File Type Assistant from File.org ("... will also check if software on your PC is outdated.")

Bruce

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Clarification and Answer

Thanks for your replies - and so fast.

First, a clarification. The first image was a screenshot of the message that appears in the bottom right and was taken on a day it was asking about Skype. The second is what comes up when I "click to update" on the first image and was done on a day the message in the first box was about Audacity. Sorry for the confusion. I do have both programs and use them or plan to do so in the case of Skype.

Second, yes, Joe, I do have Secunial PSI but only run it manually not on start up.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce. Hadn't seen your post when I wrote my clarification. You've figured it out and, knowing the correct name, I found it easily in Control Panel - Programs and Features.

Looks as if I installed it about a year ago, likely to help open a program with an unusual extension. This doesn't happen often.

Next question and advice request: is this harmless and worth keeping or am I better to uninstall it until I need it again, if I do?

Appreciate your solving what had been a mystery!

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It doesn't seem very reliable as an update checker; there are plenty of good alternatives for that.

Unless you can configure it via its cog icon not to check for updates, I would suggest uninstalling it.

Bruce

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks, Bruce. And I believe you're right: I did fine without it as far as updating is concerned and I haven't had to check for an unknown file since summer 2012. Easier for me to uninstall than to configure so that's what I'll do now. Then, it's November backup image time - think I'm finally getting into the once a month habit. Lowers stress levels in 2 ways: images are fresh; learning curve for how to do image backups improving!!

Appreciate your help and advice, as always.

Linda