Lounger
    Thanks

Security Update Fails

I have used the Windows update Web page to apply the latest recommended security patches, and it downloads OK but fails to install, with this message in the installation history screen:

Security Update, November 20, 2001 - version 6,4,9,1121 - failed install.
    10:10:01 AM Tuesday, November 27, 2001 : 5083

It looks to me like the 5083 is some sort of an error message, but I have searched the MS KB with no luck. Does anyone know what is going on here? MS is very unhelpful with regard to these kinds of install issues.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security Update Fails

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by DaveA on 27-Nov-01 11:23.</P>Edited to add url code

There are too many reasons for the update fails to install. Try to download the patch once again (if you didn't save it on your hard drive) from
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/ms01-056.asp>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...in/ms01-056.asp</A>
    save it and run it locally. We'll see what's happen.

Lounger
    Thanks

I downloaded the file and ran it and it fails with a more explicit error like the following:

Error Creating Process....... Reason INNTsystem32advpack.dll

I have run into this error message before, and looked at the MSKB for anything. All I could find was an article about IE update failures because this dll was too old. I checked my copy of the dll and it is a later revision, so this should not apply. My version is 6.0.2600.0.

Thanks for the quick response!

David

New Lounger
    Thanks

We have also been having trouble accessing the windows update page. We have Win98. Same trouble on the home computer as well as the computers at work. It won't let you go any further than the first page of the updates. We tried all of Microsofts solutions - enable ActiveX, medium or less security, etc. but it still doesn't work. Is Microsoft just having a problem right now?

Lounger
    Thanks

I am going to start a new post on the advpack.dll problem - I think that is the key to the failures. I can't get any updates to apply now (DirectX 8.1, etc.) because of this dll.