Thanks

Angry Unusual CDROM Problem

About a fortnight ago a friend gave me a U3 formatted Flash Drive to install a program from. Installed and works with no problem.
    HOWEVER......
    When I removed the Flash Drive [safely] and re-booted, both my CDROM drive and DVD drive [labelled Y & Z in explorer] now have "BootDisk" appended to them whenever I insert a CD or DVD of any type, whilst the contents window show the U3 booting files. [See the attached.]
    THIS MAKES MY CDROM AND DVD DRIVES TOTALLY UNUSABLE, being unable to boot from either of them.

(Sorry - Nooby on here. Don't see why the attachment hasn't shown)
    Those [Ha! Ha! wonderful] MS Troubleshooters tell me there is a problem with the drives which it is unable to identify. Helpful - not.
    Consequently I have spent nearly two weeks trying to get to the bottom of this but am getting nowhere. MS has [once again] managed to screw up System Restore so that's out. Device Manager and various Registry hacks haven't helped [each restored after trying of course.]
    There are hundreds of posts telling you how to create the U3 software but nothing on removing it.
    Please, please, please don't tell me the only way round it is by doing a complete re-install (Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit) as that involves another week's nightmare re-installing all my programs and getting the settings right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pushandpull; 2013-10-31 at 16:04.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Bruce.
    Unfortunately that was one of the solutions I tried which didn't work. It seems each manufacturer has their own removal tools so you need to find the right one. The guy I borrowed the Flash Disk off is in Afghanistan with the troops and I've had a heck of a job trying to get in touch with him.
    Managed it this morning though. Seems he's got about a dozen different FD's and couldn't recall which one he'd lent me! Thinks it might have been Corsair Voyager so I'm now scouting around looking for the removal tool. Further complications are that it may have been 32 or 64 Gbs and USB2 or even USB3!
    Anyway, thanks again for trying.

.....Ken
    Nobody is perfect, which is why I'm called Nobody!