Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What website editor is easiest to use?

I desparately need a web site editor that is easy to use. The secretary in my office tries to use Sharepoint Designer but she is frustrated with it, doesn't understand it, and the program makes occasional strange changes to default.css that damages the webpage and then I have to try and fix it. I need a website editor to make at least minor changes to an existing website with as little complication as possible. Does anybody have any recommendations? The primary criterion is EASE and SIMPLICITY of use as well as reliable operation without glitches. If it's free, that would be great. Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with Sharepoint Designer. Do you use it locally and then upload files to the server, or does it edit directly on the server?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My understanding is that Sharepoint Designer is the standard Microsoft webpage editor and is a successor to FrontPage. Page editing is done locally and then modified pages are uploaded to the website. Sharepoint Designer is quite powerful and complicated, but difficult and confusing to use for a secretary that doesn't have much computer background. I'm looking for an alternative that is easier to use, hopefully free, and doesn't make errors in page generation. It doesn't have to be as powerful or flexible as Sharepoint Designer. I have looked at Nvu but it seems just as complicated. I'm not sure what other options might be available.

Administrator
    Thanks
    SharePoint Designer is the follow on product to FrontPage for use with SharePoint web sites. It just happens to be able to be used with regular web sites also. There are quite a few SharePoint specific features that would not make sense for a non-SharePoint site and would most likely confuse anyone not familiar with SharePoint.

If you are looking for a Microsoft product see Expression Web. It is a really good tool for producing standards based web sites. However, it is NOT free.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe, for your suggestion. I don't really care whether we use a Microsoft product. I'm just looking for something simple that works well on relatively simple webpages. I've never heard of Expression Web, and it does seem expensive for us. How simple is it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is may be more complex than you wish but then "relatively simple" is in the eye of the beholder. Expression web is a top notch professional grade product. That said I've found it fairly easy to use.

Joe

Thanks
    I haven't tried this yet, but it's more up-to-date than Nvu: BlueGriffon.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the additional suggestions. I will check them out. Any other suggestions with the basic requirement of ease of use would be welcome.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Expression Web is your best bet. WYSWYG editing plus the power get better. There is a great deal on Expression Studio Upgrade for around $50. The Expression design is also powerful. HTH.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfarmer View Post
    What website editor is easiest to use?
    The one that you know the best. Maybe need to look at several and attempt to determin which one is easiest for you to learn.

I find Arachnophilia very nice and easy.
    Last edited by RussB; 2011-06-16 at 08:56.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There must be a million of them out there, and I admit I have tried none, but one that has at least some good reviews is WebEasy. It does have a free trial available.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The first, and best, piece of advice I received when starting to build a website is - don't pay for fancy editing software. I use two free HTML editors, Aptana Studio which has a page preview facility so that you can see what you have done, and Notepad++, which has recently acquired a spell-check

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a good resource from Coffeecup software - they have plenty of free tools, and a good html editor too (but you need to pay for that one - but it's cheap!)

If you need to do simple up to complex websites, look for Dreamweaver (now from Adobe). It is a fantastic editor that can do everything from simple html pages to complex interactive database driven sites.

If you need a simple tool to edit, amend and update a website, then look to a simple Content Management system. The easiest to install and use that I have found is called Tandemserver - but it runs on a Windows machine, requiring Dotnet 3.5. If you are looking for something a little more customised, then look to something like Drupal or Joomla (which are free php/mysql applications that run on either windows or linux servers) but they do take quite a bit of setup initially.

In the end I use a combination of all these methods for developing and maintaining sites. I do find that I am moving more towards a CMS rather than plain web pages. It makes keeping the links together much more simple, and Tandemserver has all sorts of features that you can use (or not). I highly recommend going that route, because the html editing is all done through your web browser - no software to install, and all you need is an internet connection.

Thanks
    One that I've heard a good deal about in its ease of use and price (free) is Kompozer.
    Hawk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast