New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry File association

Hi!
    I've got a new problem... Do you know Mastercam?
    I've installed the new version x7(file extension mcx7) and uninstalled the old version x6(file extension mcx6).
    If i double click on a mcx7 file it will be automatically open, i want to do the same thing with the mcx6 file; so i've tried to associate the file with the program but nothing... I am a domain user I thought, so i've tried to do the same with the pc administator account, hey it isn't the domain administrator account , and it works. why? what's wrong?
    When I use the domain user account if i try to select the exe file that must be associated it will not be viewed in the application file list...
    Thanks
    A

Sorry for my english

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    As I understand it, you no longer have version 7 on your computer. And what you want is for MCX6 files to open with version 7 of the program when you double click on them.

First, we need to get the path and target of Mastercam version 7:

Right-click on the icon for Mastercam version 7, and choose Properties. Write down the contents in the Target field (Shortcut tab), exactly as it appears. You will need this information in a moment. Now close the window.

Now we can associate MCX6 files with Mastercam version 7:

Double click on Computer (opening up a Windows Explorer window).
    Find one of the MCX6 files, and right-click on it. Choose Open With then Choose Default Program.

In the lower right of the window that opens, click Browse. Find the program that you wrote down from step 1 above. Highlight it, and click Open.

Check the box by Always use the selected program to open this kind of file, then click OK.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok!
    I had tried it 2 or 3 times but nothing... when i select the program, as well explained, and click open, the program won't appear in the list... it's the only program, if i try to associate the extension with Adobe reader or what you want it works.
    I try to give modify permission to the folder that contain the program... nothing again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Albiz View Post
    Ok!
    I had tried it 2 or 3 times but nothing... when i select the program, as well explained, and click open, the program won't appear in the list... it's the only program, if i try to associate the extension with Adobe reader or what you want it works.
    I try to give modify permission to the folder that contain the program... nothing again.
    I assume you browsed to find the program. You didn't say that you did, only that the program didn't appear in the list.