New Lounger
    Thanks

Alert: KB2884256

I just installed the October updates bit by bit. The last two I installed are KB2862330 and KB2884256. After rebooting after their installation, my memory usage doubled, from 24% of 12GB to 49%! I uninstalled KB2862330, but memory usage is still 47%. What's worse, there's no uninstall option for KB2884256. Two attempts to return to two earlier Restore Points created by Windows Update failed with an error that says some file is not accessible. Of course, which file is not identified. The suggestion is to turn off anti-virus, but naturally that doesn't work.

First, I'd warn against installing KB2884256, based on my experience with it.

Second, does anyone know how I can back out of this situation short of doing a full image restore (which I have available from just before all the updates I did)?

TIA.

--B.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I installed KB2884256 and my memory usage on a 4GB system is only 37% with Outlook, Windows Live Mail, and two IE 10 windows open. I suspect your memory problem lies elsewhere. Did you open Task Manger, click on the processes tab and then click on the memory tab to sort it? What processes are using the most memory?

Jerry

Thanks
    An up to date system Image just prior to the updates would have you back to where you were in about 10 minutes. That's why I make a new Image after each patch Tuesday. That way if something bad happens I will restore to the last Image.

Looks like others are having problems uninstalling this as well. No suggestions yet, other than a reinstall. I wonder if a Repair Install would work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    My Windows 7 system was not affected at all, by the October updates.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Task Manager, Process Hacker, Process Explorer, and System Explorer all show that svchost.exe is the largest user of memory. Its version is from 2009, so I doubt it's the problem.

The only thing that changed between 24% and 48% memory use was the installation of the two referenced updates.

Fortunately, I do have the disk image of the system drive and can do a restore. Am now making a copy of the image and ensuring all user data is backed up as well. Then I'll do the restore tomorrow, putting the whole mess out of my mind till then.

Administrator
    Thanks
    There should be multiple instances of svchost. With Process Explorer you should see all the functions hosted by each instance.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, hello.
    Should this : That's why I make a new Image after each patch Tuesday. not be before ??? Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Br, hello.
    Both these installed fine here, W-8 64b, on the 9th current. That does not help you at all. Jean.

Thanks
    I make my Images after patch Tuesday so that the Image includes the new updates. If something happens with the updates I can restore to my previous post patch Tuesday Image (which is only 1 month old at the oldest) and start over.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Should this : That's why I make a new Image after each patch Tuesday. not be before ??? Jean.
    That would be my preference too, Jean. I actually postpone the patching until I have done the weekly images. They give you an immediate, trouble free, fallback point.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Rui, and a good morning to you. You wrote :
    That would be my preference too, Jean. I actually postpone the patching until I have done the weekly images. They give you an immediate, trouble free, fallback point.
    There are a lot of stuff that Ted does that I can not follow. &, he does not do clones either. Guffah ! guffah ! Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    &, he does not do clones either. Guffah ! guffah ! Jean.
    Hi Jean,

Well I don't do clones, either .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Of course % of memory is subjective as everyone may have different amounts installed. I observed no change in memory usage with the install of this update. I am consistently at 20% of installed memory. Think you have other problems!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I'm still waiting till Susan B gives out her clearance for all 13 Items from the last patch Tuesday including these two!
    Oldpaul100